Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys im trying to do all the work myself except paint on my 70 nova. never done any body work and i have only one spot on the whole car that needs fixed. when the last owner had it in storage something fell on it. my question is do you think i can fix this with no experience? or should i not attempt it. i have matching paint and i cant afford to get the whole car painted so i was going to do a patch job. anyway here it is
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

here is a shot of the paint job on the car its in good shape and i dont want to spend the 300 and have a different color fender until i get it painted. thanks for any advice
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
It looks like you have a really nice car. Repairing that damage yourself would be difficult, because you are a beginner. Here is a list of things that a professional body shop would do and charge to repair your car:
Remove and install fender liner, nameplate, emblem, molding at headlight, body side molding on fender and door, remove driver's door trim pad, door handle, mirror, molding at door glass (about 5 hours)
Straighten dent (about 7 hours)
Paint fender and blend color into the drivers door, clear both panels(about 7 hours)
+ materials (body filler, primers, sandpaper, etc)
The body labor rate here in Chicago is about $46.00 per hour. Not sure what it is in Cal, but 19 hours at $46.00 = $874.00 + materials.
This is just a guess. I may be off on some of my times. I would be interested to see two or three different estimates from shops in your area.
If I were you, I would save your money and have a shop fix it.
I hope this helps a little. I am not saying you couldn't do this yourself. It's just a big job for someone with no experience.

·
Registered
421 Posts
just by a new fender and take your car to a paint supply store who has a paint camera. they come out to your car and and place the camera on a flat surface and the info from the camera gives them the paint mix combo to mix what you need. i did this for my cowl hood i added to my car and it was a dead match. had a friend who paints spray it and i did some welding for trade. but 2 weeks later someone wanted the hood for them selves and took it at a friends house in a shady area. cheap rent as he calls it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the options guys im a little scared to even try it. my cousin is a painter but is getting hammered at work and doesnt have time to help me out yet might just wait until he slowes down. might be a year before i can get it done you know those body and paint guys:rolleyes::D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts