Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original 70SS with the muncie 4 speed. I am trying to hook up the reverse lights as they were originally. Am I correct in thinking that there should be linkage from the transmission to the steering column? The arm is intact on the column, but evidently someone removed the rods and the bellcrank. I've seen this setup in the catalogs, and although they seem a little pricy for what you get, I'd like to have it work the way it's supposed to.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
reverse lights..

It is a tight fit with headers for the reverse lock out rod....but, it does work with some headers. You can also buy the kit from Shiftworks...their rod is designed to work around headers and still retain the factory setup. I have used their products and they are good...

***fyi..our 70 survivor 4 spd had headers and the factory linkage intact...headers were old school, small tube...so it can be done.

****another trick with headers...weld a small eyelet to one of the the heade tubes for the clutch return spring...works very nice.

wilma

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think I'll order the setup and see if I can't make it work. I have the Hurst switch mounted on the shifter now, it works, but I thought the original setup would be better. I have Dynatech headers on the car, so I'll probably have to do some fabrication. Good idea on the return spring, but my headers are coated. I fabbed a tab and used one of the steering box bolts to secure mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts