Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would likely have less rubbing issues on a '72 Nova, stock-untouched wheel wells/lips, 10 bolt rear, 245/60-15 tire, stock ride height?

*Wheel--15" American Racing Torq-Thrust D*

7" rim w/3.75" bs or,
8" rim w/4.5" bs

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
414 Posts
check out the wheel/tire section. there are excellent specs and other info. the tt2 are mentioned...some with much more backspacing, and pix. :yes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check out the wheel/tire section. there are excellent specs and other info. the tt2 are mentioned...some with much more backspacing, and pix. :yes:
Thanks man but, I have been all over that section like flys on...... I'm also wanting to use the D's and not the II's which limits my bs options. :turn:

·
Registered
414 Posts
gotcha.
i have 17x8 wheels on my 69. bs is 3 1/2. i run 245/60 and rub on the driver inner quarter. i do have rear disc brakes which protrude further than stock. i have about an 1 1/2 inch of free space on the inside. i will go with more backspace on my next wheels.

if anything, check out this sticky for the measuring tool; no guessing needed.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174839

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
You could probably get away with the 8"/4.5" on the rear with a 245. I have 255 on mine and they rub the inner fender well a bit on bumps and hard acceleration. That is with nobody in the back seat...
I would go with a 7"/4.5" if I had it to do over... And I don't think that will fit on the front if you were planning to do same size on all 4...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could probably get away with the 8"/4.5" on the rear with a 245. I have 255 on mine and they rub the inner fender well a bit on bumps and hard acceleration. That is with nobody in the back seat...
I would go with a 7"/4.5" if I had it to do over... And I don't think that will fit on the front if you were planning to do same size on all 4...
I wish I could get a TTD in a 7"/4.5". They just don't make 'em. :snow:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't have the exact wheels that you're interested in, but this info might still be helpful to you.

On my '71 I have the same 245/60/15 rear tires that you are looking at, but with wheels that are 15x7" with a 4.125" backspace. There is plenty of room for this to fit, with no rubbing on anything and no modifications to the wheel well lip at all. Rear suspension consists of multi-leaf springs and stock shock mounting location (and no air shocks). Here are a couple of clearance pictures:

As you can see, there is room to spare with the 245s. But your choice of a 3.75" backspace wheel would push this setup 0.375" further towards the wheel well lip - so depending on how well your rear is centered, and the condition of your suspension/ride height, you may or may not have a rubbing issue with the 15x7 3.75" BS + 245/60 tire. I'm sure that a 235/60 would fit without issues, and you might be OK with the 245/60 as well.

A 15x8 wheel with 4.5" BS will have a 3.5" front spacing, vs a 15x7 with 3.75" BS having a 3.25" front spacing. Also, the 8" wheel will widen the foot print of the 245 tire beyond what you would see on the 7" wheel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have the exact wheels that you're interested in, but this info might still be helpful to you.

On my '71 I have the same 245/60/15 rear tires that you are looking at, but with wheels that are 15x7" with a 4.125" backspace. There is plenty of room for this to fit, with no rubbing on anything and no modifications to the wheel well lip at all. Rear suspension consists of multi-leaf springs and stock shock mounting location (and no air shocks). Here are a couple of clearance pictures:

As you can see, there is room to spare with the 245s. But your choice of a 3.75" backspace wheel would push this setup 0.375" further towards the wheel well lip - so depending on how well your rear is centered, and the condition of your suspension/ride height, you may or may not have a rubbing issue with the 15x7 3.75" BS + 245/60 tire. I'm sure that a 235/60 would fit without issues, and you might be OK with the 245/60 as well.

A 15x8 wheel with 4.5" BS will have a 3.5" front spacing, vs a 15x7 with 3.75" BS having a 3.25" front spacing. Also, the 8" wheel will widen the foot print of the 245 tire beyond what you would see on the 7" wheel.
RPM, your two pics are what made me choose to go with a 245/60 tire some time ago! :yes: I think I am going to go with the 7" rim. Something is telling me I will most likely run into problems with the 8". Thank you for your descriptive answer. That is what I was looking for.

·
Registered
682 Posts
RPM, your two pics are what made me choose to go with a 245/60 tire some time ago! :yes: I think I am going to go with the 7" rim. Something is telling me I will most likely run into problems with the 8". Thank you for your descriptive answer. That is what I was looking for.
Glad that I was able to help! :)

I've saved some pictures over the years of various wheel/tire combos with notes about their details, and while looking through them I found this group that might be somewhat helpful to you. These are the AR TT-D wheels you are interested in, in a 15x7" with 3.75" backspace, with 225/60 tires up front and 235/60 tires out back. It looks like there is still some extra room with the 235s, so the 245s might indeed be just fine with these wheels:

Not sure where I saved these from, might have been someone else from this site but it's been too long to remember! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Glad that I was able to help! :)

I've saved some pictures over the years of various wheel/tire combos with notes about their details, and while looking through them I found this group that might be somewhat helpful to you. These are the AR TT-D wheels you are interested in, in a 15x7" with 3.75" backspace, with 225/60 tires up front and 235/60 tires out back. It looks like there is still some extra room with the 235s, so the 245s might indeed be just fine with these wheels:

Not sure where I saved these from, might have been someone else from this site but it's been too long to remember! :)
Oh man!! That sealed the deal right there. :yes: Thanks a sh*t ton!!!

Out of curiosity, what size tire do you run up front?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Which would likely have less rubbing issues on a '72 Nova, stock-untouched wheel wells/lips, 10 bolt rear, 245/60-15 tire, stock ride height?

*Wheel--15" American Racing Torq-Thrust D*

7" rim w/3.75" bs or,
8" rim w/4.5" bs

Thanks,
Chris
17's on front and 18's on rear on 3rd gen if going pro touring look.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Oh man!! That sealed the deal right there. :yes: Thanks a sh*t ton!!!
You're welcome! :) They are definitely a great looking wheel.

Out of curiosity, what size tire do you run up front?
I have a 225/60/15 up front, on the same 15x7"/4.125" BS wheels as the rear. I originally wanted to go with a 235/60 up front, but I was concerned about interference between the outer tie rod end and the inner sidewall of the tire. This is due to having front drums (front discs push the wheel slightly further away from the tie rod thus giving more clearance) combined with the backspacing of the wheels I chose. I also considered using a 215/65 up front (one day I still may try this size), since it would be narrow enough to avoid contact with the tie rod end, but equally as tall as the 235/60. Ultimately though, I decided on the 225/60 for the front since I thought it would give a nice little rake to the stance by being 1" shorter than the rears.

But with the 3.75" backspace of the TT-Ds that you're planning, you should have no problems fitting a 235/60/15 up front if you so desire.

Here are a couple good pictures of mine that shows the size contrast between the 225/60 and 245/60:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to post an update in case someone needed to use this thread in the future for reference. I went with the 15X7 which has a 3.75" bs. I'm running a 245/60 BFG T/A tire. I did trim the lip about 1/4" just for my piece of mind, while going down the road, as it looked a little close for my comfort. Plenty of room now, with no rubbing of any kind. Thanks to those who gave feedback.:turn:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just wanted to post an update in case someone needed to use this thread in the future for reference. I went with the 15X7 which has a 3.75" bs. I'm running a 245/60 BFG T/A tire. I did trim the lip about 1/4" just for my piece of mind, while going down the road, as it looked a little close for my comfort. Plenty of room now, with no rubbing of any kind. Thanks to those who gave feedback.:turn:
That's looks fantastic!

An excellent choice. Glad that it worked out well. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just had a couple quick questions. I'm now thinking about an alternate wheel/tire setup for mine, and the Torque Thrusts are one of the possibilities on my list.

- What size tire did you decide on for the front?

- American Racing offers two versions of this wheel that look very similar to me. One is called "Torque Thrust D" and the other is called "Torque Thrust Original". Both have the same backspacing, but different part numbers. Which one did you pick?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts