Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if a company makes a HID system with ballasts for a 7'' headlight setup? i see xenon all the time but i want to get HID for less power consumption and better lighting but i cant seem to find any. any ideas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
real hid

:rotfl:eek:k the sad truth :( of a real hid is that they are really expensive.
yes they sell tons of those plug and play hid kits every wear you look.but here is the deal.the housing in the head lights is made to reflect the light from a hologen light not a hid light.
thats why when you a driving down a dark street and a car with facotry hids is comming towards you you do see the brightness and no blinding glare.

then you have some car with a plug in play kit with the stock head lights comming at you and he blinds you with his glare.

its not that he aimed the head lights wrong.its that the housing wast not made to reflect that type of light.

yes it looks nice to the driver of the car with the plug and play kit but not to the others on the road.

there are only 2 ways of getting a great set of hids

1 buy some made that are designed for hid.big money but well worth it if you dont have any fabrication skills.
http://www.xsightinglighting.com/index1.html
i have seen them in action great product.

2nd way is to buy the projectors from a wrecked car and retro fit them in to yours.

very time consuming but will save you some cash.but it will still cost you some large money.

i have done it myself with great results.

i did this to my daily driver because i live way on the outskirts of town and i dont want to hit the coyotes or rabitts on my little car. wowo what a differance.when you live out in the boons and there are areas with no street lights they are awsome.

but if you have the glare the cops will pull you over right away and issue you a ticket.its a fix a ticket here but you have to go to get it inspected and make sure it passes.

with my retro fit i have never been pulled over for glare. the light stays on the ground not the oncomming traffic.

i can post pics if you would like.

but i will warn you its a RICE car.:p
i just love the gas milage.and no i dont have thousands of dollars in my 4banger.its stock .sorry no coffee can muffler

·
Registered
407 Posts
here is a couple of pics of the way my headlight light up the road not the on coming traffic

the one above is with street lights

the one below is of the road with no street lights. notice how well i light up the road and not the high walls.
believe it or not on the right side of this pic there is a block wall.the camera dose not do the pic justice.but it dose show a very well cut off light

·
Registered
407 Posts
the funny thing about hid

most people that want to put HID lights just do it because they want there lights to look purple.:rotfl:

then they buy one of those plug and play kit with a really hi kelvin rating so it looks purple.
sad thing about it and all of you guys know what i am talking about.it just looks like a rice spaceship.it looks like there heading to the burning man.

the real hid lights are ture bright white.not color.
the color you see when its coming at you is the cut off line in the projector housing.that creates a color spectrum. its not that the bulb is blue or purple.

if you stand infront of a car with real hids and you are at the cut off line you will see the color spectum(purple,blue)but bend lower to the main light area and you will see that there is no color just white.

no color.

for everyone reading this post !
if you just want your headlights to look blue or purple.do all of us a favor and just buy some piaa bulbs.dont buy the plug and play kit and blind us all.

listen we are all here restoring our classic rides.improving on them every way possible and buying the right parts.
dont put a cheap P.O.S kit on your ride.
do it right.

i will make my nove a real HID car.i will buy a couple of the plastic 7" housing for the H4 bulbs and cut the back out and retro fit the projectors out of a infinity.

i will have low and high beam in a ture hid.i will post the whole thing with tons of pics so you guys that dont mind doing it yourself.
i will also do all my taillights in L.E.D.s so they can be nice and bright.
i have done this before with great results.

now all of you that are going to reply that the plug and play kits are not P.O.S. dont take it the wrong way i know you guys are going to say they are just fine and work great.
but if you go to your local highway patrol and have them inspected they will not pass.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
plastic lenses

most people that want to put HID lights just do it because they want there lights to look purple.:rotfl:

then they buy one of those plug and play kit with a really hi kelvin rating so it looks purple.
sad thing about it and all of you guys know what i am talking about.it just looks like a rice spaceship.it looks like there heading to the burning man.

the real hid lights are ture bright white.not color.
the color you see when its coming at you is the cut off line in the projector housing.that creates a color spectrum. its not that the bulb is blue or purple.

if you stand infront of a car with real hids and you are at the cut off line you will see the color spectum(purple,blue)but bend lower to the main light area and you will see that there is no color just white.

no color.

for everyone reading this post !
if you just want your headlights to look blue or purple.do all of us a favor and just buy some piaa bulbs.dont buy the plug and play kit and blind us all.

listen we are all here restoring our classic rides.improving on them every way possible and buying the right parts.
dont put a cheap P.O.S kit on your ride.
do it right.

i will make my nove a real HID car.i will buy a couple of the plastic 7" housing for the H4 bulbs and cut the back out and retro fit the projectors out of a infinity.

i will have low and high beam in a ture hid.i will post the whole thing with tons of pics so you guys that dont mind doing it yourself.
i will also do all my taillights in L.E.D.s so they can be nice and bright.
i have done this before with great results.

now all of you that are going to reply that the plug and play kits are not P.O.S. dont take it the wrong way i know you guys are going to say they are just fine and work great.
but if you go to your local highway patrol and have them inspected they will not pass.
If you use the plastic housings they will melt ands distort, i did not have luck with a first set i tried so i switch to the hella glass housings.

·
Registered
407 Posts
sorry bluenova667
but the conversion you did is what i am talking about.
what you did looks great from the drivers seat but your glare is all over the place.the hella lights a not ment for a hid bulb.

next the plastic lense will not melt when you use a projector inside the headlight housing.

to make it easy for people to understand here are some pics.

picture above.
the car on the left has a plug and play kit.hid bulb in a halogen housing.the car on the right has the correct hid housing.

notice the glare in front of the car on the left side.that is what blinds all the oncoming traffic.

the one on the right has the cutoff line no glare up above.

the picture above is the cutoff line from a plug and play kit installed in a hallogen headlight.

the picture below is the cutoff on a hid projector.aka real hid this picture was taken from 50 ft away

here is a picture of a plug n play close up so you can really see it.below

the picture below is the perfect cutoff line.thats exactly what everyones hid cutoff line should look like for it to be street legal.

the rest of the pics are so you guys can get an idea of cutoff lines.

thats how you keep the brightness on the road not on other peoples face when they are driving towards you look at how the light pattern stays steady not allover.

now this is the best cutoff line i have seen on a halogen conversion.as you can see its not good at all.see pic below

as you can see there is a big differnce.

the headlights on my honda are plastic they have never melted or even discolor.
i know i guy that did do a correct conversion on a 7" plastic headlight for his car.i will try to find the pics and post them up if you guys would like to see

·
Registered
407 Posts
i dont mean to hijack this post

ok there are lots of views on this post.so i take it lots of you are curious on what it takes to retrofit real HID lights.
most people think its all about putting a bright bulb and your done.:no:

lots of you have seen the pics of the cutoff line on the hid lights and might be wondering how it is that this is possible?:confused:

others have just put the bright plug in h4 hits into a plastic headlight and had them melt.:eek:

ok these are not my headlights but another guy with 7" round ones.
i was going to put a how to do it with my head lights.but i think its better for you guys to see it done with a 7" round.

this is for you guys that would like to do it yourself.

i have done it and it was fun.

1. you need to first buy the projectors from the headlights of a acura TL.
there are others that will fit but i just like these because they are easy to find.

thats a pic of the whole headlight. you dont need the whole thing.

thats the projector:cool:
now thats the parts you need.that projector above it what controls your lights and the heat. 1 projector on each headlight takes care of your low and hi beams.
not all projectors are the same.these are called bi-xenon because the 1 projector takes care of the hi and low beam.

2.next buy a plastic headlight from ebay or where ever you like.this one has a black back ground.
they sell chrome ones so your car can look as stock as possible.

dont let the projector looking thing inside this headlight make you think that it will do the job.these projectors really suck they are nothing more than a low budget fog lens.

3.cutout the rear of the headlight to remove the cheap projector.and toss that thing in the trash.

4.measure your new projector and cut what you need off to make it fit.
this is when your dremel becomes your best friend.

5.now that you are happy with the hole size.find a way to secure it to the headlight. jb weld works great

6.once you are happy with the fit do what ever paint job or finish you need to do.

7.this is what they should look like when they are done ready for install.

ok you all know how to mount the headlight to your stock holder from there
you might have to trim or even make some sort of room behind the headlight bucket depending on the year nova you have.
i know i will when i do my 63.but its no big deal just remove the bucket cut out the back and add new sheet metal.

ok one more reason why it is so important to have the right type of hid lights

look at the way they control the brightness in fog. it would also work out great in snow and nasty weather.

it wont blind oncoming cars in foul weather.last thing you want in foul weather is someone with really bight lights that just glare the entire fog and you cant see.

hey if any of you need help with retro fitting your car feel free to contact me.
i am not in the business of installing this stuff.i am not going to charge.i am just a guy who learned on how to do it myself to save some cash.

it has been one of the best upgrades i have done. well for driving at night.

hope this has helped take out the confusion on hid lights.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hey those are nice looking light for the price.
i contacted the company they sent me pics of the out put.its not great but the cutoff is very good.

for the money they are great.

the guy from that website also let me know that they will discontinue that headlight.
they are just trying to see off what they have left.

they are going to start to sell the xsightlighting headlight in its place because they are d.o.t. legal

but they are going to cost lots more.

so if they are in your price range go for it.they are better than just sticking a hid h4 bulb in a regular housing.

great product for the money. great cutoff lines

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/images/projector/hid projector output.jpg

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/images/projector/projector-low.jpg

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/images/projector/projector-high.jpg

those are the pics he sent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts