Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a these rear ends are the same depth so they share the same drive shaft length, someone put a shortened rear end in the car i have out of god knows what and i had to cut the drive shaft and weld it so i can move it around while i'm working on it and i don't trust it due to the 110v welder i used and my incredibly heavy right foot, i've twisted one off going down the highway before and would really like to avoid it happening again .

thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I think there is a 1" diffence beween the 7.5 and 8.5 rears, ive ran all combos and found they all worked anyway. Had 12blt with a 7.5 shaft, had 8.5 with a 7.5 shaft, had 12blt with 8.5 shaft.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The more I think about it the less I can remember. But when I did the 8.5 & 7.5 rear end swap with the 3rd & 4th gen 1 drive shaft worked in the 4th gen & I had to get a longer one for the 3rd gen. It was a 73 Buick Apollo that I stole the 8.5 from.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, i better find an 8.5, i think the yolk for a 400 style output is shorter, got tired of breaking transmissions, and stepped it up a notch or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts