Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas!
I found a 69 Nova that has some spots with heavy rust, quarter panels, rear trunk area/speaker area, roof, front and rear pillars, etc.

I currently have a 74 Nova that’s almost rust free. 90% of the car is rust free.

My question is to those body gurus out there....can I use my 74’s body panels on the 69 for the area mentioned above? Or are they completely different?

My 74 is in decent shape, it runs, and has suspension upgrades, but I’ve always liked the 3 rd gen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on books or videos on how to do those body panel repairs would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
637 Posts
As far as quarters and trunk floor, those have quite a few parts that won't work together. Trunk floors are a lot different and would take some pretty serious modifications to work, quarters have completely different upper body lines and 1/4 windows so those are not compatible which also transfers to the inner sail panels. Roofs are close enough to work im pretty sure might take a little modification but nothing serious (i don't think.) Pillars I have no clue so I won't say anything on those but I would guess that the A pillars would be a match or at least real close, but that's just a guess. Whats your 74 look like!? I'd hate to see that cut apart

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
If it's coupe to coupe, I believe the speaker panel, front half of roof, and front pillars should be the same.

You could just do a 68-72 front end swap, and put the older bumper (with mods) on the 74 as well. The front subframes are different at the bumper horns, but you can make it work with some ingenuity.

ETA: Ram is right, the 74 is still a 3rd gen, just with a little bit of body changes and some safety changes (the big bumpers).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hmmmm, which part of your 69 is salvageable? Read the extensive rebuilds on the site, several people have documented the steps to replace basically every panel on these 3rd gens.

·
3,842 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Out of curiosity, is the 69 your looking at the one with the spray painted flames and SS down it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lower half of rear quarters is the same, so replacement half quarters interchange. Upper half of rear quarters is different, due to body line and rear quarter window difference, so the full quarter doesn't interchange. From the door latch forward, including the doors it all interchanges for the most part, just differences at the grille/headlight trim area and bumper.
'69 Doors have wing vent window and the '74 doesn't, but everything in either door can be swapped to make them fit either way...or you can put the no-vent wing window '74 doors on the '69 complete for a sleeker look. .Front fenders, inner fenders, hood, cowl panel, windshield all interchanges.
Back glass and trim interchanges, Trunk lid too.
Trunk floor center is different, trunk floor ends and trunk drop-offs down to the bottom of the outer quarters are the same. Gas tank is different. Rear tail panel isof course different, as it rear bumper.

IMO if you have a rust free '74 and all the trim in good shape it would be a shame to carve it up to rebuild a generic '69 that you can get all the new replacement panels for....you can't get a lot of that '74 specific stuff as replacements.....plus the '73-74 are really gaining in the coolness factor...and gaining value too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts