Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a quick question concerning the diffs between a 69 and 70. mainly in regards to the front clip, (grille and marker lights specifically). the grilles to me seem to be the same other than the SS badge in the middle on the ss models, but it seems to me the marker lights vary considerably. also i was told not once but twice from 2 different people that air condition was not available in 69 on the novas, not even as an option. was there a mid year model(69 1/2)? any reliable insight, or knowledge you fellas can provide on this would help me out a bunch for this particular project i'm working on in which originallity is of utmost importance.

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
I'll have to let someone else weigh in on the grilles, but the marker lights are very different between the two years.

Front turn signals: In '68/'69, the lenses were rather small and were amber in color. In '70, the lenses were enlarged and were clear (not tinted in any way- they used amber bulbs). The lenses were changed back to amber for '71 and '72.

In '68 & '69, the side marker lights were rather small (don't know the dimensions, but the back ones were almost square). As far as I know, the front lenses were clear on '68s and amber on '69s. If the car had an engine identifier, the number was in a chrome 'box' in front of the front marker lights. (Something that I've never understood is that you sometimes see the number BEHIND the marker light - note front marker lights on the dark red Nova, 3rd pic below. Anyone want to chime in on that?) In '70, the front and rear marker lights were changed to elongated rectangles and the engine identifier was a cast, chromed number above the front marker light.

1969:

1970:

Tail lights were also different. In '68 and '69, the tail light was a solid red lens at the outer corner of the panel below the trunk lid. Backup lights were the same height as the tail lights and were inboard of the tail light lens. In '70, the tail lights were made larger (wider) and the backup lights were moved to the center of the tail light lens.

1969:

1970:

No A/C in '69???? That's the first time I've heard that one! It MIGHT not have been available on, say, the 396/375, but the option list shows it available for, at least, the listed engines.

Also, thanks to 1969L78Nova, novalty, jtnovanut and nutcase for letting me 'borrow' pics of their cars...:D

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the 68 and 69 I thought the front lenses were amber, and on the 69 the headlight bezels were different from the 70'.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
The 'hole' that the front side markers mounts into, are cutout at different heights.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
69; Grills have half of the vertical support bars (9 I think), amber rectangular signal lens, marker lights a in a different position and more square then 70. AC was available in 69, I know, because I own a 69 AC car!:yes:

70; have clear (white) signal lenses rectangular marker lenses with engine ID above the lens and 69 were part of the bezel.

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the 68 and 69 I thought the front lenses were amber,
That's what I was trying to say in the first paragraph. The "clear '68/amber '69" comment concerns the side marker lights on the front fenders.

and on the 69 the headlight bezels were different from the 70'.
I've never owned a '68/'69 and never compared either of those grilles to the '70 that I owned. I knew you guys would come to my rescue on those details! :salute:

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Sorry about that...I now read the 1st paragraph 'with' glasses.

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
In '68 & '69...... If the car had an engine identifier, the number was in a chrome 'box' in front of the front marker lights. (Something that I've never understood is that you sometimes see the number BEHIND the marker light - note front marker lights on the dark red Nova, 3rd pic below. Anyone want to chime in on that?) D
Sometimes I'm so slow that it's a wonder that I can get out of the garage before the door closes... :rolleyes:

I just realized that those assemblies are 'right' and 'left' and are mirror images of each other! So... if you switched sides, the lens would be in front of the number instead of behind it! :eek::eek:

Sometimes I get lost, but I get there eventually!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Sometimes I'm so slow that it's a wonder that I can get out of the garage before the door closes... :rolleyes:

I just realized that those assemblies are 'right' and 'left' and are mirror images of each other! So... if you switched sides, the lens would be in front of the number instead of behind it! :eek::eek:

Sometimes I get lost, but I get there eventually!
Someone actually installed them on the wrong side, they are backwards!:yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts