Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and hope someone can tell me where to get info on a hurst shifter for an 69 SS L78 M20 Nova does it bolt up different then the muncie bracket and does any one have any pics or illustrations of the original hurst set up?:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Hurst Shifter..

The factory instlled shifter was a Muncie unit that bolted to the crossmember. They were notorious for jamming and getting sloppy. The Hurst unit bolts directly to the transmission and is much better for a street driven car. If you want the best of both..use a Hurst shifter body and retrofit a Muncie handle..correct look without the problems. The Hurst shifter to fit the Novas is readily available from any of the usual hotrod suppliers.

wilma:shh:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shifter

Thank you for the info,when I called hurst(mr gasket)they said they have no listing for 69 w/console only w/o.Is the 69 Camaro the sameone and/or will it fit?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Hey Wilma!

Did you ever take that Muncie handle I sent you and modify it to fit your Hurst shifter? If so, how did that turn out for you.

I am planning on most like doing this for my '72 Rally soon. I have a nice, 3-speed hurst shifter but want the look of the big Muncie handle.

Take care!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great topic.

I've tried that factory handle (Camaro) for my competition plus shifter in my 69 Nova with a console.
It never worked. The body of the shifter was too think and placed the attaching bolts right near the floor.

Anyone chime in.....Like the look of the console but not going back to the "flintstone loose shifter"

Jim

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shifter

I emailed Mr Gasket & they recomend 391 6848 shifter & 373 7131 install kit.I prefer the 391 4340 mechanism(only)it looks like it will fit better because it leans tothe right & forward.I think it will center up better I'll let you know in about 10 days when it arrives.I also found a Camaro web site that sells the original style braket & brace for the flintstone shifter HA!HA!I mean Muncie shifter the site is www.camaroandclassics.com look under 67-68 camaro.Thanks for the replies.I'll keep you all posted as parts arrive.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Keep us (me) informed on what works. I like the idea of putting the console back in place but want to keep the tight shifter.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Hurst w/console..

taz3 said:
Thank you for the info,when I called hurst(mr gasket)they said they have no listing for 69 w/console only w/o.Is the 69 Camaro the sameone and/or will it fit?
Karen has a Hurst in her 69 Camaro with console. I will try to get some part #'s and info. 69 Camaros (z28) came from the factory with a Hurst...

wilma:shh:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well just got word today that like everthing else lately my shifter is on back order maybe another 2 weeks.Time to move onto another area.Maybe I'll start on rear end posi & gears.I did at least get all the parts sorted out and what I need.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post numbers tomorrow for install kit and shifter w/console the non console is easily found by anyone who sells hurst shifters.Don't kow where they are right now I have them somewhere they were a pain to sort out.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if the numbers you have are for the console application (was stated Hurst doesn't list) i'd like the numbers...

i'm somewhat of a Hurst nut.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You guys all must be on the same wave!!

Backed the car up yesterday from the winter cocoon and was thinking of following up this topic myself!!

Do keep us posted. Jim

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm not at this point yet on my '69, but per my notes I show the following part numbers for a Hurst shifter in a 69 Nova w/ console:

Hurst Shifter - with console = 391-7875
Hurst Shifter - install kit = 373-7131
Hurst Shifter - head only = 391-7879
Hurst Shifter - stick only = 538-4106

Can anyone add to this list, like maybe the shifter rods part numbers?
M

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used a Hurst comp plus shifter in my 68 with console. I will get the numbers tonight they are in the garage, I kept the sheet that came with the shifter. I think it says 67-69 camaro firebird not even nova. Works great!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
BINGO.

That number 391-7875 I can't find so far. I need it mainly for pictures as the one that is in the car is perfect.

The stick number 538-4106 is what I'm after. 538-4084 is bent just right so will locate this at Jeg's. then compare.

Jason 68...........What are the numbers for your 68???

Heading for work shaft (oops shift) Jim

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
YENKO DEUCE REG said:
I'm not at this point yet on my '69, but per my notes I show the following part numbers for a Hurst shifter in a 69 Nova w/ console:

Hurst Shifter - with console = 391-7875
Hurst Shifter - install kit = 373-7131
Hurst Shifter - head only = 391-7879
Hurst Shifter - stick only = 538-4106

Can anyone add to this list, like maybe the shifter rods part numbers?
M

dug out the Ol' Hurst catalog again... maybe this'll help ;)

<edit> here's the stick you asked for i believe...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
as you guess, i have a catalog here, it's dated 1997. it shows pictures of the shifter units without the stick, but the number listed above, the 391-7879 (shifter only) isn't listed... so i have no picture for you... now HERE's a picture, dunno if it's a misprint of the part number... same number, but jiggled a little... can anyone confirm ???

(edit) i removed the picture, it was incorrect... please disregard this post

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need the install kit to know if everything will work but here is what I going to use;shifter body only 391 4340
shifter arm 538 8009
install kit 3737131
the shifter body should work because it has an offset to pass. side (1&1/4")as well as leans forward.The guys at hurst just say there is no listing so I'm going to try this configuration when all the parts get here.If anyone knows for sure please chime in.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts