Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to thank everyone who helped me with my last post and made the job a million times easier, so to my next situation...Panel replacement. I know i need to replace the entire trunk floor, the inner and outer wheel wells and the lower half of the quarter panels and outer rockers. I want to do this panel by panel and was wondering with some bracing inside the car to keep stuff in place would that be sufficient or would i need to build a body jig. Not gonna be a show car for sure but just want to know if could get away with the bracing with the car on its suspension. ( apologize its not letting me upload pics from here, will update when i return home).

·
Registered
37 Posts
With my 72 ( I'm currently working on the inner rear quarter panel area) I leveled the rear end out the best I could on jack stands ( I kept all rear end and suspension on the car) and welded in angle iron in a rectangle shape in the upper rear interior area connecting the c pillar panels. I have cut out the roof skin ( the new skin has not yet been welded on yet but fitted and ready for weld) rear package tray ( new tray has been welded in) trunk to window filler panel ( new panel not welded in yet but also fitted and almost ready for weld) and just recently cut off the old rear right quarter panel. After test fitting each panel as the old was removed, the only thing I noticed that I am going to have a issue with is going to be the door gap but I think its because of the repop panel I have, not because anything has moved (that I noticed anyway). I am restoring this car in my garage and just don't have the room to build a body jig. That being said, If you have the time, money, space, go ahead and build a jig for the car, and ALSO weld in support in the interior of the car. If not, do the best you can to level the car, and take an approach similar to what I am doing. Just my 2 cents. Its not always right nor is it perfect. But so far its working for me.

Good luck!

TM

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,761 Posts
murdernova . . . . . . 1st is WELCOME to SNS ……………… (y)

2nd …... big 'project' ……. go & take ALOT of pictures (from all / different angles) - - - - wait = back-up .
If you have a 'Digtal camara' ; buy you another (or several) "SD CARDS" . . . just for taking pictures
(any Nova pictures, rebuild pic, detail pic, before & after pic, for just that sd-card ) .. . . . . If your computer ever crashes , or , there is another ''''''''' PhotoBucket ''''''''' adventure ……… you will always have a record . ( I'm on my 3rd sd-card, now).
Now , for posting your "pictures here on SNS = very easy now ……. : when you want too post a picture
(or several pictures …… plus , I always Number my photos ; then, if someone has a question (where there are several pictures) , we both know exactly which picture we're talking about. - - - So, when posting on to SNS :
Look at this BOX - lower line ;
1st icon = paper clip
2nd icon = chain links
3rd icon = smiley face

4th icon = "that's the camara" . . . . . click that , find u'r picture (for each pic, from u'r desk-top , or folder) ………..
drag & drop in that 'Box' . .. done. - - - FYI , I just do one each @ a time (but that's me) , let them load &
do the next pic. That pic is loaded here on SNS - - - - if, at another point - - you may want too show
your same picture (or anyone's posted picture) , in another post (say for reference, later) , you can do that .

Then, for installing "support braces" - - - YES , why not , you do-not things moving around. You can use some good jack stands - - - install them under your - front or rear axle positions . . . . just like your Nova was sitting on th' tires (like with the weight on the car) . If at some point you think you might need extra bracing , then add that in . Your better doing like one major panel at-a-time ……….. u get over your
head .
just my thoughts . . . . . I'm just saying . . . . . jim

Reactions: 69murdernova

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would add some bracing just to be safe. When I do my 71 Nova quarters and trunk I plan on bracing the car and doing one panel at a time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tips guys! Here you can see the amount to be repaired (shout out to AMD). I will try with the bracing and see if I can slowly change out individual panels. Figure the truck floor is gonna be the hardest part so just measure and measure again.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts