Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a **** 230 L6 and want to toss in a new block... anybody have experience putting in a 283? on a 69?
I'm working with a powerglide that works great and want to basically drop in the new block i'm looking at. but it's not quite the 350 I wanted to toss in. but, who wants to be the same as everyone else anyway?
is the 283 even a plausible fit for a 69? On my olds 442, I was unable to cannibalize the monster block and replace with a tiny one so i could sell and keep the big block for my camaro. didn't work out. funny story for another time

I'm expecting to need new mounts, probably a flywheel, exhaust manifold, something like that. but your experience can help me do this (or not, depending on what you tell me). so please... if you've got your two cents to throw in, I would greatly appreciate. also just experience with the 283 in general would be helpful too. I'm looking at a freshly rebuilt one, so meh. tell me what you think

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It will fit right in and yes you need mounts, and flywheel, headers would be nice but the only problem i see is the heads, if there original you have to use the old style brackets for an altinator because of missing accessory holes. Whats included with the rebuilt 283? Is it short or long water pump? Post some more info!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
is the 283 even a plausible fit for a 69?
A small block Chevy is a small block Chevy, whether a 262, 265, 267, 283, 302, 307, 327, 350, 400......I must have forgotten at least one...........
The difference is on the inside, not the outside.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The 283 is one of the best engines chevy ever made in my opinion. I don't think you will have to change the flywheel, unless the teeth are worn on it. They are the same between the two. You should be able to use the starter off the L6 as well assuming the 283 has the same starter bolt pattern or a dual pattern. You'll have to get a V8 radiator, a new exhaust and some other parts, but the swap is easy to do.
I've got a 283 in my chevelle and to this day its been the best running and most fun engines i've ever had. I've got another 283 on the stand in case I don't like the L6 I built for my Nova or to replace the 327 in my 55 chevy.
Is it a full rebuild? what heads, cam etc. are on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts