Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup everyone im new to muscle cars and i got a 69 nova V6 and i did search but still get the right answer!!
so my question is if the V8 is a easy swap cuzz my friend has a 72 nova and he said that my car need to be cut on the engine chasis it's that truth or the V8 swap it's just a bolt on swap??
thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Are you sure you have a V6 or do you have a straight six? Generally speaking a straight six to SBC V8 is a bolt deal. Their are some things that need/should also be replaced during the swap, but it all should be nuts and bolts with no cutting or major fabrication. I have to say no major fabrication becouse it seems like when you start working on these cars their is always something that has to be tweeked or just barely modified to make it all fit together.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
chevynova69 said:
sup everyone im new to muscle cars and i got a 69 nova V6 and i did search but still get the right answer!!
so my question is if the V8 is a easy swap cuzz my friend has a 72 nova and he said that my car need to be cut on the engine chasis it's that truth or the V8 swap it's just a bolt on swap??
thanks for the help!!
Your friend is misinformed. You can swap in a big block v8 easy as pie. :D no cutting required. That's why i love chevys! :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^
man iam so glad to hear that!!
cuzz i really like my nova!! anyway guys i was thinking go with the corvertte swap how much would cost me to do that $$ or can u tell me what a good and cheap swap will be??
i just want to run like 12's on the track and having it for cruise as well any comments are welcome!!
thanks!!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Cost will depend on the parts new verses used the swap less engine sould be about $500 or less with used parts rad,mounts & exhaust all pre 81 chev trannies bolt up to 6 cyl. all the way up to Big blocks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I want to make it manual what kind of tranny can i use i want something like 6 speed??
and what's the easiet swap the 350's or the vette motor??
thanks!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The six speed conversion kits are out their, but they are a little pricey. Older style carb type V-8's will be the easiest swap since you will not have to mess with a computer. Just remember the more you do the more expensive it gets. You can normally find a cheap running 305 chevy V-8 for a couple hundred. The better the motor the more it will cost. The six speed conversion is going to cost between 2500 to 3500 at least.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so should i stick with the 4 speed manual tranny from the nova ss??
i was told i can do the carb's V8 swap and swap the vette 6 speed tranny??
it's that right??
or it's easy go with the 4 speed one?
thanks

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
a six speed and a corvette motor is gonna cost you upwards of $10,000.You may want to start with a 300hp crate motor and a 350 turbo tranny.You can do this for a round $4000.bm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the 350 turbo tranny can be stick??
is 4 speed manual or 5 speed??
cuzz i do want to make it stick instead the automatic!!
where can i find a motor at??
also i have all 4 drums how much will cost me to make them all 4 disc brakes??

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey, i recently did a straight six to 350 motor swap. the motor i bought actually came out of a 92 olds., but it only cost me 500 and it was in really good shape,. all said and done, the entire job cost me around $1000, but i already had the carburetor, intake manifold, power steering pump, and a few other major parts., id say as long as you find a block for cheap, you can get the job done for around a grand, just search for used or cheaper repro parts. as far as the transmission, a turbo 350 is an automatic only, 3 speed with overdrive i believe., if the car isnt manual already you're better off leaving it auto, not only will you have to find a good 4-speed and have it rebuilt you'll have to worry about all your clutch linkage and pedals and all that., i also have 4 wheel drum, the front disc conversion kits are goin for around $600-$700, but beware, not all of the kits come with everything you need. good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guys but i want to make it stick so where can i find the engine for my car :( ??
also can it be 5 speed manual or got to be the regular 4 speed manual??
or from what year of chevys i can do the swap??

·
Registered
491 Posts
swap

Hi Chevy 69,

If you have never done this type of automobile work, you will need help and plenty of cash. A new 350 ready to go is not cheap. Do your home work before you buy anything. There is a lot of good help from fellow Chevy owners on this web site...but....it is nice to have someone that lives close to you that can offer advice and assistance. Just my 2 cents worth from experience.
Good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
well the car is now a inline 6 n it's automatic!!
so right now i have $3 grand to spend on it!!
i also want to do all disc brakes cuzz i have all drums right now!!
this is how it looks!!

i know the front tires are backwards but i am going to buy some new ones!!
this is how i got the car 1 month ago!!
by the way what do u guys think of my car???

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
4 wheel disc brakes are going to cost you around $1200.00 for an aftermarket kit. You may find cheaper, but remember the reason you are doing it is better braking. Brakes are not a place that it is generally not a good idea to cut corners with. By the time you have it all done you will be lucky to have $1500 to $1800 left to play with for a V-8 swap. You can do a budget V-8 swap with a good salvage yard 350 engine for around $400 to $500. The parts to do the swap are going to be about $500 to $800 depending on how you do your exhaust and how much knowledge you have working with you. It would be a good idea to get an assembly manual, service Manual, and chiltons to use as a reference. Just try to remember everything you cut corners on now (such as using a used yard engine) with plans to upgrade later (buying a new crate motor) will basically be money thrown away. Used engines are difficult to sell on your own. Salvage yards have people coming to them all the time becouse they can give a 30 to 60 day from time of purchase warranty on an engine were as an individual normally will not offer any warranty. So if you plan on something like this it may be better to do the brakes then continue saving, collecting the little parts, and researching before going on with the engine swap. Also if your having trouble getting someone who has an idea of what they are doing to help you, you might want to volunteer to be an extra set of hands while someone who knows what they are doing are doing something simular.

By the way looks like you got a nice toy!

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
There's no way.He's got three thousand... he wants 4 wheel discs ,a crate motor and a 5 or 6 speed.I say start with the disc brakes, save some money and buy the tranny you want and save some more money for the motor you want.just my opinion.bm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts