Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My thirst for a muscle car started a few years ago once I was over the "fast and furious" stage of my life... Lucky I didn't make any money in my late teens so I never ended up with a silly front wheel drive! :rolleyes:

Rewind 4 years; A friend that buys and sells 4th generation F-bodies stumbles across a clean title 2000 Trans Am fixer upper - needs just enough fixing to really get my hands dirty on what a real project would take. My Trans Am is still with me but just wasn't the "muscle" I desired.

The past year I have been watching Craigs List and some eBay auctions for anything GM 72 and older. originally I wanted a Fire Bird but after reading an article in Super Chevy titled "Copper Top" I'm sure you guys know the car, might even be a member here. Long story short I fell in Love with the Nova...

About a month ago I found it! Car is in great shape the PO restored it in the 80's, then hit tree and was in the process of a second restoration when I bought it.

what I know about the car so far:
V8 327 bored .030 with about 10 miles
Rebuilt Power Glide
Stock 10 bolt
Front Disc conversion

Pictures!!!

Getting Loaded

Being dropped off at its new home

Passenger side

Driver side

Car was an original 60/40 bench and the PO threw in these 2nd gen Camaro buckets - They are going to be one of the first things replaced when I get to the interior, with the custom brackets for the sliders it makes the seats to tall!

327 with Edlebrock intake and AFB carb. Carbs are new technology to me... haha new... anyway its a manual choke - but no way to run the choke from inside the car; so i'm going to 1) pick up a new carburetor or 2) add and electric choke. Up in the air still.

As for the project so far I purchased a battery, 5 gallons of 91 octane, new fuel filter, a quart of oil, and 3 quarts of trans fluid. Topped of all the fluids and she fired right up after sitting for 2 years! Drove it around the block without any doors! The neighbors i'm sure loved it! My goal was to get it running then find a body shop. I wasn't expecting it to start on the first try.

The condition of the car is amazing! Two tiny spots of rust behind the rear wheel on both sides, but other than that there isn't any cancer on the car. I have both doors but the hinges were rebuilt and never put back on the car. I decided that i'll be doing all of the body prep work and started to block sand the passenger door but I haven't taken the time to upload the pictures yet.

I have pretty big plans for the car down the road i'm sitting on an LS1 block but i'm pretty happy with the 327 for now. I purchased a Type II pro touring Harwood Hood and it arrived last Tuesday looks great on the car i'll have to snap a picture. Plans for paint - Fathom Green Metallic with 1 wide racing stripe starting at the scoop in the hood in silver.

Can't wait to see you guys at the shows!!! ...next year... :cool:

-Blake

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Nice car Blake and welcome to SNS. You are going to really like it around here lots of very helpful people. Looks like a quickie resto on you're car. Keep the pics coming. RICK

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the site, glad to see your getting your feet wet....

looks solid and a great start...:yes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weekly Progress - July 15, 2012

Weekly Update for July 15th
Got some little things accomplished. Like shaving the rear side markers and polished up some chrome bits.

The top pair aren't polished.

The pictures really don't do the polished handles and chrome moldings any justice! I was ready to toss all the chrome parts for some re-pops but they came out amazing!

Rear Bumper Brackets

Before

After - boring stuff but still part of the work this week.

Passenger Door

Before - couple low spots taken care of

After - all primed up still needs to be blocked.

Filled Marker Light

Sorry for the crappy pic should have closed the garage door.
Shaved both sides for the side markers on the rear. (The passenger fender was shaved when I bought the car I liked the look so; we'll do the other three!)

And Just for fun my Harwood Type II pro Touring hood :devil:

·
Registered
37 Posts
My thirst for a muscle car started a few years ago once I was over the "fast and furious" stage of my life... Lucky I didn't make any money in my late teens so I never ended up with a silly front wheel drive! :rolleyes:
I've been through that stage. I'm glad it's well over :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
And Just for fun my Harwood Type II pro Touring hood :devil:
[/QUOTE]

How much more hood clearance does that hood add? Always LOVED the look of these hoods on Nova's. Could you take a pic of the underside of the hood?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have any progress pictures but I worked on prepping my hood for some primer hopefully next week. But its busy season with guests! I think we will have company every weekend until the end of August... :confused:

As promised ICEMAN here are some picks of the hood clearance. Keep in mind that my fenders aren't shimmed out and the hood isn't attached to the hinges. This hood is more or less a 2" cowl...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't have any progress pictures but I worked on prepping my hood for some primer hopefully next week. But its busy season with guests! I think we will have company every weekend until the end of August... :confused:

As promised ICEMAN here are some picks of the hood clearance. Keep in mind that my fenders aren't shimmed out and the hood isn't attached to the hinges. This hood is more or less a 2" cowl...

You definitely sold me on that hood. Before I go in for my next paint job I will be getting that hood.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another late update... had company in town again; and we are set to have guests again this weekend...

Can't get any garage time, but I did buy and Install a new carburetor!

I also pulled my valve covers to see what heads are on my 327.

I also investigated my rear end - 10bolt 8.2 deal is the best guess by looking at the cover.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess its been about a year so its due time for an update.

The car doesn't look any different - I hung the doors...

In the past year I have start collecting a pile of parts. Decided that I needed a boost driven machine. Picked up an LQ4 with some goodies sold off all the goodies and was left with more or less a free 6.0L block... Then it started - the snowball.

The following pictures were taken by a friend whom also built this motor.
Thanks TJ!!!

This is what we picked up - pretty much sold everything but the crank and valve covers.

reason the engine was for sale... lifter took a dump.

all stripped down

new pistons!

new rods

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
$300 for the rods? Just wondering if they were about the same price as the old small blocks. Scat I beam is rod is a good piece for the money.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'll get back to that engine build in a second... In the last year besides collecting new parts for this mess, I have also spent several weeks cleaning up my work area.

and barried in that mess is my new Moser 12bolt

12 bolt specs:
33 spline axels
Posi with built aftermarket clutches
aluminum girdle
c-clip eliminators
disc brake
bigger studs

built a shed to take up some of the clutter and house my new air compressor

now that the garage is clean I sold off my Trans am and picked up a little better of a daily driver

new daily driver - 2013 Cadillac ATS - it's been fun.

back to goodies:

block back from the machine shop - bored .030 and painted it up

new ls3 heads

ls3 heads with new Brian Tooley Racing springs

LS3 COMP Trunnion

LS9 boost friendly cam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Assembly of this hoss:

heads are together

arp studs

stock crank - sadly its probably the weak link in all of this too...

LS2 Timing chain set

intake in the fore ground oild pan in the back and under them is 1 of TJ's chevelles...

injectors 65#

getting ready for the install

rotator is in

pan on and TJ's chevelles

all together - mostly

getting loaded up!

it was a full car ride home from our visit to KS...

made it home 500 miles with no damage!

LY6 - .030
4L70E - awaiting its build up
and my new cheap wheels so they fit over my new 12" brakes.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts