Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i guess its time to show the site my Nova. Its a 69 3 on the tree straight 6. I am going to SS clone it and put a 396 with a 4 speed. The trans i have know is a Saginaw 4 speed side loader, i think i'll stick with it. I also have a 10 bolt rear and was thinking of trying one of those lock right positive locking differentals in it. Do you guys think the 10 bolt will be strong enough?
Im still looking for a stance i like, im thinking lowered enough just to hide the tires a little more than the stock high. Probably will run either rallys or cregar's. By the way whats the biggest tire i can run in the back without any mods?

Here she is

My Workshop

A little bit cleaner now

Getting a start on things

Coments and Tips most appreciated

Pat

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How would i go about doing this area?

New Floor and trunk pans

New Quarters, still have to instal the tail panel

And of cource the whats left or the rust

Should i replace this panel or patch it up?

Also how would i go about doing this area?

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
252 Posts
How would i go about doing this area?

New Floor and trunk pans

New Quarters, still have to instal the tail panel

And of cource the whats left or the rust

Should i replace this panel or patch it up?

Also how would i go about doing this area?

Thanks

Pat

Looks great! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Patches

Buy a 110 welder for a hundred bucks at Harbor Freight. Some of those holes were small enough you could fill in with weld.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
HHmmmm looks like a fun start... IM wondering why your rear tires are not centered in the opening....... Are the springs installed correctly?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear end wasent bolted in proporly, it was just loose

Buy a 110 welder for a hundred bucks at Harbor Freight. Some of those holes were small enough you could fill in with weld.
Then would i grind it smooth? I dont think i can get close enough without damaging the trim clip thing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im just wondering if screw on type window molding clips replace the anchor pins on the window frame?

Making some progress hopefully will post pics tomorrow

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There use to be some special popreivets that you could put in the place of the removed pins but I can't remember who makes them. Search around on google, on mine I used sheet metal from an old hood and patched the rear window channel.
Did you just patch around those pins?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
most of that stuff you can do yourself with a welder and some good body hammers.
dont do full welds when welding on your car! do spot welds all the way across! once its all tacked in you can do 3-4 tack welds on one spot and then move somewhere else. keep alternating between places till its all connected. then grind it down.

cut out that piece with the pin on it and grind off all the bad stuff so you just have that pin left. then weld it on the new panel. simple enough. i would drill through the panel and then weld it on from the back side so its cleaner.

and with rust that bad dont just try to weld it up! your going to be wasting your time. it will just keep burning through. REPLACE IT!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
most of that stuff you can do yourself with a welder and some good body hammers.
dont do full welds when welding on your car! do spot welds all the way across! once its all tacked in you can do 3-4 tack welds on one spot and then move somewhere else. keep alternating between places till its all connected. then grind it down.

cut out that piece with the pin on it and grind off all the bad stuff so you just have that pin left. then weld it on the new panel. simple enough. i would drill through the panel and then weld it on from the back side so its cleaner.

and with rust that bad dont just try to weld it up! your going to be wasting your time. it will just keep burning through. REPLACE IT!
I was definatly going to do a full patch and not just welding it up.
I thought of welding it from behind, but i was told that the new clips are just a screw on anyways. their would be no point in welding those pins back if i wouldnt be using them.

THanks

Pat

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry guys yet another question. I like to ask lots of questions and this would be the place to get the best answers. Im just realizing that the seats dont mount directly to the floor. I have buckets and was wondering if someone could post pics of either a car or assembly manual of what i need to mount my seats. As you can see the has new quarters and the PO didnt send the mounts that i believe are spotted to the floor?

Unfortunatly i ran out of gas for the mig so i havent been able to make any progress.

Thanks in advance

Pat

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Whats wrong with the mounts? Do the holes in the floor not line up or do the seats lean to the side.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yeah theres a bracket that gets welded to the floor. If you dont have it its not a big deal to drill a few holes and find something to level out the seats. I used 69 camaro seats and put a piece of 1 inch square tube under the sone seat and drilled holes thru it and the floor the seats sit level and youll never see the tubed under the carpet.

·
Registered
334 Posts
the largest tire under mind is a 275 50 15. if i wanted to role to quarter lips i could maybe fit 295 under it but its not worth that extra bit. this is all done by a 15-7 wheel with 4.25 backspacing the 295 would take a 4.50 backspacing. its not how wide its the tops of the tires hitting the top of the wheel house.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would someone be able to post pics of the brackets with measurements of where to drill? So all the brackets do is level the seats? Do the seat bolts go through the floor with a nut on the bottom?

THanks

Pat

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was definatly going to do a full patch and not just welding it up.
I thought of welding it from behind, but i was told that the new clips are just a screw on anyways. their would be no point in welding those pins back if i wouldnt be using them.

THanks

Pat
Im really having trouble figuring this out. I dont want to weld the patch in until i know what the new clips are like, or if i NEED to re-use the ancore pins.
I woulod really appreciate some more thoughts on this?

THanks

Pat

1 - 20 of 40 Posts