Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a 69 nova that was originally a straight 6 with the 3 speed on the column. someone has converted it to a floor shift and had a 350 in it. the previous owner yanked the motor and sold me the car. what my question is, is that 3 speed manual even adequate for a 350? and also, i can't find any info on this trans really. what bellhousing(the guy took the bellhousing with the motor) would i need to bolt up a 350? would a 4 speed bellhousing match up? i'm sure most of you are going to tell me to just get a muncie 4 speed and bolt that up to a 350, which i'll probably end up going that route. i just was curious if my 3 speed was even worth trying to keep. i had some muscle cars when i was a kid but i never got involved with parts swapping. i pretty much just worked with whatever they had in them, so i'm kind of new to parts swapping game.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
One good thing GM did was to make the Bellhousing bolt patterns the same for all of the Chevy engines. The 154 four cylinder, all six cylinders, all small blocks and big block Chevy engines have same pattern. Not sure about the 348 and 409 blocks.

As far as the three speed. It could hold up for a while. It depends on HOW hard you abuse it.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
One good thing GM did was to make the Bellhousing bolt patterns the same for all of the Chevy engines. The 154 four cylinder, all six cylinders, all small blocks and big block Chevy engines have same pattern. Not sure about the 348 and 409 blocks.

As far as the three speed. It could hold up for a while. It depends on HOW hard you abuse it.

Bryan
Just make sure it is a car bellhousing. Some of the trucks have a different register size. The Saginaw three speed will hold up to a mild 350. When I was in my teens, a friend had a 350 3 speed Nova. It was fast.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so as long as it's not a truck bellhousing, i should be able to bolt it right up? does anyone know a part number for the right one? maybe i'll leave the 3 speed for a bit. i just yanked out my moldy interior today and discovered the driver side floor is completely gone. that combined with rear quarters and an inner fender well plus welding sucks. knowing i have a trans i can use for a bit makes my wallet hate me a little less. thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts