Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the foam seal on the large flapper. I have the kit but it has only 1 piece that is sized for the flapper, which from the factory has foam on both sides. Would the new foam go on the side you can see and is it possible to remove the flapper?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Hey Rudy . . . . . How's it going . Glad too see you posting-up .

Well, I did have my heater out .. to replace my heater-core - - - several years ago , (and, I don't remember about the 'Foam' ) . . . . mine was good shape .
So, I looked over here : Heater Gasket Set -10 pcs-americanclassic.com

you asked : - - since you have your 'heater box assembly out' - - I'd even get that extra 'foam pad' and install on both sides . Like, do it now . . . and do it right , because you will - not - want to pull that thing out again . I think that "flapper" seals one way - - - then, when the flapper opens .. it also seals against the other side .
That , said - - - it would need foam on both sides . . . . you are correct . Remove the Flapper - - - I did not remove mine . just swapped out the 'core' .
That door should come out , if need - be .

So, buddy . . . . . been kinda cold around Arizona lately , How u liking this new - different - site ?

later . . . . . . jim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jim, things are going good. Car is in new shop and moving right along. With the heater box I'll try to remove the big flapper hinge pin but if that doesn't work I may just have to let the back side of the flapper go as is. Still has some crumbling foam on it. Having mice in there didn't help either, caused rust. It's a small block with no a/c car by the way.
The site, for one old school person is not bad. The more I'm on it, the more I'm finding my way around. Takes time, though. I like it.
Not much of a Winter so far, rain, temps up and down, some snow, but it doesn't stay around.
Rudy

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Mine was full of mouse crap,urine and a nest so I ended up drilling out the spot welds and putting it back together with pop rivets. Not sure which one you consider the large one but the only one that had foam on both sides was the long rectangular one. It add foam on half of one side and folded around the end and cover most of the other side. The other big one just had it on one side. Knocked down the rust and coated with Por-15.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J Mark, the flapper under the heater core is the one that needs the new foam. I trimmed the piece that goes there and after I por 15 the box I'll cement it in, on the one side. Had no luck trying to get the hinge pin out, and am not skilled enough to open it up and reassemble as nicely as you did yours. The long narrow flapper with the seal that wraps around is fortunately ok. Will also glue in smaller seal, the one with staples showing. Washed out box. Hope when the heat comes on, no mouse odor. Thanks for pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts