Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus guys... pulling the 355 and TH400 from my car.
Any issues with taking them out together? or pull the engine and then drop the transmission? I will not be using a vehicle hoist.. on my back unfortunately.
And of course putting the new 408 :devil: and same tranny back in? together or seperate?
thx

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I pulled the engine and transmission together, and put them back in together. My first pull and install so if I can do it, anyone can:D

Had a helper guide the package out, used a jack under the transmission to keep it where I wanted. Dist. off, carb off, transmission cross member off. Was why easier than I thought it would be.

Ray

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
3rd gen pull together. When I install I install them together with tranny lines, starter, water pump, balancer, w/pulley, etc.. The more I put on it outside the less I have to get under the car or hood and that's the way I like it. I did mine without a lift, jack it up on stands and undo the bottom stuff - mounts, drain the oil, starter and wires, driveshaft, etc.. Drop it down and undo the top stuff and pull it, not much to it on these old cars( heck there is a woman on here that does it all herself, orders parts, cleans parts, installs. etc. :D). Best of luck with it.:yes:

·
Registered
744 Posts
( heck there is a woman on here that does it all herself, orders parts, cleans parts, installs. etc. :D). Best of luck with it.:yes:
Uh-oh --- here we go!!

I used to wrestle the T400 out from under my 1st Gen by myself when I was younger. Tried in recently and discovered that it isn't as easy as it used to be. Got a butt plug for the transmission and started pulling it all out together. No more now though. The T400 has recently been replaced with a Tremec 5 speed and I hope it will be a LONG time before I have to wrestle with it.

Mark

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Uh-oh --- here we go!!
Got a butt plug for the transmission and started pulling it all out together.

Mark

You liked that remark I made huh? It's the truth and I didn't mention anybodies name at all.

I keep an old turbo 350 yoke that I use for my engine installs when pulling the old one's out so as not to spill any fluid. I don't even pull the crossmember either.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I pull my BB with the 4 spd it just has to come out steep and as mentioned you'll need a spare yoke.:yes:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good Guy's, I was thinking this would be the way to do it, looks like more than enough room. I like "The more I put on it outside the less I have to get under the car or hood" Not as flexible in my old age! :no::eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts