Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thats cool that all that hard work is paying off. That motor is awsome. Theres no doubt you should see some pretty amazing track times. Looking forward to more updates.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
A friend on a local car forum (as well as a member here on SNS) has offered to sell me his 12-bolt rear out of his 72 Nova. This will provide me a good opportunity to add strength (33-spline & 12-bolt housing) and eliminate c-clip axles. I will get the "new" differential in the next evening or two.

While the car is down, I pulled the instrument cluster to add some gauges. First I pulled the clock block-off plate and opened up a 2" hole for my Innovate AFR gauge. I have yet to see it light up so I'm not sure how I'll like it.

Next I cut out the block-off plate for the A/C vent and installed a fiberglass, 2-gauge panel that I ordered from Anvil Auto. So far I just have it cut out and positioned. I'll pick up some epoxy and then smooth it in with some bondo. I plan to add a boost gauge in one hole and maybe a transmission temperature gauge in the other.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Just to keep this build thread updated. I ended up piecing together a 12-bolt with 3.08 gears, spool, 33-spline axles, c-clip eliminators, and a cast aluminum rear cover. The 3.08 gears help load the engine quicker which spools the turbos and gives more time for the engine to work under boost. It's also a great choice for highway cruising. I drove in to work again this morning - 50 miles each way. On the interstate at 75 mph I matted the throttle in 3rd to see how much boost it was building in the 29F air temp. I had to quickly let off when the spinning rear tires started letting the car skate around. I briefly saw 13 psi on the gauge. I'm working on getting lighter wastegate springs to limit boost around 5 psi. That will make it a little safer on the street, and I can always ramp in more power with the programmable boost controller. This turbo drivetrain is incredibly addictive. :cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Little bump for a successful night at the track. After running a 6.06 @ 118 mph I replaced the slicks with 275-60-15 M/T drag radials and added an MSD 2-step. After 3 passes with various traction problems I came up with an agreeable boost curve and ran a 5.87 at 119.0 mph with a 1.34 sixty foot. That was a full 0.11 second improvement on my best 60' with the slicks and basically 0.2 second improvement on ET. Amazing difference with the radial tires.

I was really happy to break into the 5s after driving a round trip of 150 miles to the track and back home, on 93 octane pump gas, and without any mechanical issues. I could have left the hood shut all night. Got to love fuel injection and turbo power.

sorry - don't know why it is showing the same video twice...

·
Registered
43 Posts
First - every time I look through this thread it gives my goose bumbs. I can't wait to have my turbo nova on the street!

I have an intake question for you, do you happen to know the height of your intake from the Valley cover? Just need a ball park figure, and whats your hood clearance look like? Looks like you have a 2" cowl?

My 13" intake has me a bit concerned for hood clearence... I have more or less a 2" cowl as well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for the kind comments. BHartje, I'll try to remember to put a tape measure to my intake this evening.

I took my Nova to Holley's LS Fest in Bowling Green, KY earlier this month. This was the first time to ever run it in a full ¼ mile and at an NHRA tech'd event. I upgraded my safety equipment to meet a 10.00 second ET since that is all my 6-point roll bar is good for. However, my first test pass I went 9.71 on just 12 psi of boost and a fairly easy launch. I ended up setting the boost controller to leave on 4 psi and hold it until 2 seconds and then ramp up to 14 psi. That way I wasn't in danger of spinning the tires yet could still run my 10.0x dial-in. It turned out to be a good bracket racing combination as I made it from 64 cars down to 5. In the quarter finals I forgot to open my CO2 bottle for the boost controller so I lost.

Over the weekend I made 15 ¼ mile passes all within 138 to 143 mph. The car had a couple issues to work through (shifter cable lost a bolt, cracked coolant tube fitting, IAC hanging the idle) but overall I was really happy with the performance and the handling at 140+ mph. The Martz chassis with rack-&-pinion steering and their recommended alignment made it very stable and each pass was dead straight. Seems to be a good blend of 44 year old parts and current technology.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is a beautiful car. I saw in the "How much rwhp on premium gas, turbo, lq4?" Thread you mentioned choosing your fuel pump/ regulator wisely. I am actually to the point where I need to order a pump, regulator, and lines and was wondering what you used. On page 1 you mention the rick's tank with a Magnafuel 13101 pump and filter. Is this a Magnafuel filter and regulator? I thought the Rick's tanks use a 2010 Camaro pump module or something similar.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I bought a Rick's Tank that was built for an external fuel pump. My Magnafuel pump is fed from a 3/4" stainless steel tube through a Aeromotive filter, then into the pump. From the pump I run through a -10 braided flex hose to a -10 x -1/-8 wy fitting. The two -8 legs feed into the front of the fuel rails through ½" stainless steel tubing. From the back of the fuel rails I ran two ½" stainless lines into the Aeromotive boost referenced regulator, and exit the regulator through a -8 flex hose back to the tank.

You can see some of the ½" stainless tubing in and out of the fuel rails in this picture:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Had a dyno day at a local chassis dyno shop in Huntsville, Alabama. My Nova put down 909 rwhp with a mixture of pump gas and 110 octane. Pretty happy with that number through and automatic and fairly loose stall.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts