Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
...where will you mount your wastegates? Are you stubbing a length of tube before your v-band? Thanks, Jesse
Yes - there will be a length of 2½" pipe between the end of the manifold and the turbo T4 flange, and I will install the wastegate in that section. The preferred wastegate position is a 'Y' facing the exhaust flow out of the manifold. I already picked up a couple Tial 44mm wastegates used off YellowBullet. Got to save money every chance I can.

Here is a link to a lengthy discussion on welding v-bands to cast manifolds LS1Tech Link Looks like people are having good success with TIG and MIG. I'll probably tack it and then bring it to work for final welding.

Thanks for the encouragement Robb. These forums are very valuable for like-minded friends to keep us working on our projects. Have fun planning your next build.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That is going to be one sick ride when you are done!

I was wondering why not scrap the stock manifolds and use some headers like these?:confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-LS6-Stainless-Shorty-Chevrolet-Engine-Swap-Header-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e64c29e7fQQitemZ130539495039QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Short stainless swapped to front bottom dump. I think you would have the clearance now with the new front clip. And compared to the stock manifolds would look killer!:devil:

Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

Dhamen

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I just may consider those headers.. The reason for sticking with cat manifolds would be for strength / reliability.

Here's an update for mid July. I plan to get the new engine running so I can bring my Nova to a fund raiser car show on 7/23. I hope to get it started this weekend. Just need to add fluids, connect some type of exhaust to my 3" pipes, adjust the valves, install my new 4" dia drive shaft, & some more misc stuff. Hopefully it will fire right off. Then this fall I'll work on the turbo install. I'll post up a video when it is running.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The 408 lives

1½ years after building the engine in my basement, after setting it in and out of the car 6 to 8 times, it runs.

After spending all my car funds on the new front subframe early this year, the project pace really slowed down. I had to save up again to buy a manual steering rack, new 4" diameter driveshaft, and the misc things that always pop up. I found myself mired down in this large conversion/build project, so I set a short term goal of getting the car running naturally aspirated for this summer, and then start the turbo install this fall. I specifically wanted to have it running by July 23 so I could drive it to my daughter's Cheerleading car show. Of course putting together an advertisers program for the show took a bunch of my time over the past week, but last night I finally hit the key - and it started right up. I haven't driven it yet and it still has open exhaust manifolds, the hood isn't on, the front end isn't aligned... but I just may wash it off and drive it 5 miles to the school tomorrow. Idle tuning with the Accufab throttle body may be a little challenging. But I'll figure it out. For now - it runs, has good oil pressure, & I haven't found any leaks.
It felt good to reach a goal with it. I took a 3 mile run afterwards, and I don't even like to run.

ps - I just noticed the star rating on this build thread. It really means a lot to have the encouragement from this community. There are certainly some talented Nova guys here, and I appreciate the support from everyone.

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
Congratulations on reaching your goal! Sometimes that is what it takes to get something done.....a deadline. Don't forget to include your knowledge on this site as part of the chemistry that make SNS such a wealth of information, you have a lot to offer and have been very generous in doing so....Nice Work!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I ended up not driving it to the show. My start-up tune had it way lean and it wouldn't keep running in gear. Today after some adjustments on the VE table, I have it running well enough for a drive around the block. I still don't have the exhaust connected so I can't connect my wideband O2 sensor. I'll have to take it by an exhaust shop this week to get some pipe work.
I'm really liking the throttle response from the Accufab 4150 throttle body. Can't wait to give it some gas in gear after I get it tuned better.

Here are a couple recent pictures with it outside for the first time in months...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had the bright idea to drive the Nova with open exhaust to Worth Muffler this morning for a a little pipe work. Nothing like firing it up in the neighborhood at 6:15 am and trying to ease out without making too many people mad.

I made it about 10 miles down the road, and just merged onto Hwy 72 at the base of Chapman Mt when it started sputtering and the fuel pressure gauge dropped off to zero. Idiot - I ran out of gas. So I start walking down the shoulder of Hwy 72 back to the Shell station. Right in front of me a guy going east runs the red light and plows into 2 ladies just pulling into the intersection (Lexus and BMW). I weave through the traffic and help the guy and one of the ladies out of their cars. The other lady stayed in hers and waited for help. After an Officer gets there I mosey on down to the gas station to buy an $11 gas can :rolleyes:. Then I had to start it up, open exhaust, in front of the 3 or 4 Police that had assembled around the accident. Somehow the 1 gallon can got me enough gas to get over Chapman and to the first station on Andrew Jackson. Along the way my bunge cord holding the exhaust pipes let loose and I lost a collector on the side of the road.

But after screwing around for 4 hours I was at least able to drive it back home with it a little quieter. Still need to get that front end aligned though. I'll once again take advantage of my lifetime alignment from Firestone - that I bought in 1994. :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's been a while since I posted an update. I've been driving the Nova around for the past couple of weeks. Had an issue with my passenger side coil harness cutting out intermittently which resulted in a large backfire and a split open muffler. But all is good now, so I made a run up to Firestone to hit them up once again for my lifetime alignment that I purchased in 1994. I felt a little guilty, so I paid the mechanic a tip for his extra care on it. Then I stopped by a grand opening of a local Audio shop that was sponsoring a car show. It was cool to get some reactions to my project that I've been working on the past couple years. Now all I need to do is add the turbos for some real eye candy.

Here's a little idle clip from this afternoon. Seems the Magnafuel pump is the loudest thing on the car... Hopefully I'll get some video from the dragstrip soon.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I drove it to the dragstrip last Friday night and made a few test passes. Remember, this is running naturally aspirated (for now) at 9:1 compression on 87 octane gas, temporarily using truck exhaust manifolds, and it has a turbo specific camshaft. I'll have to say with this setup the car just felt soft. I was able to run a best of 7.58 @ 92 mph in the 1/8 mile with a 1.74 second 60' (on slicks). That is kind of where I expected to be, but maybe hoped it would be a little quicker. My 80 lb/hr injectors are only hitting 38% duty cycle, so that is another component that is certainly not optimized for running NA. So now that I have my baseline performance it's about time to finish collecting parts for the turbo installation.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LS motors sound good! Im getting the DSE tubs installed, new wheels and a 6 speed. Hope to be on the road soon. :) Your car looks and sound good! I will take it out to the track after I get it all buttoned up. Might see you there.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Dub - who is installing your wheel tubs? I really want an overdrive to make my car more street friendly. But it will have to wait on the turbo installation. The Nova is going to sit for a little while so I can do a clutch swap on a friend's Corvette this weekend and then build a T56 for my Corvette...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Todd Blicharz at Todds Rods is installing the tubs and 6 speed. He did the engine install. He also did the paint and body work on my last 63 nova. He does a good job. He is out on Winchester hwy. I will have to make a trip to the track to check out your car when you get the turbos on. 7.58 ain't to dang shabby! :D

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Very nice documentation, and very impresive for a non-turbo'd turbo engine!

I can't wait to see the turbo build and the results at the track.:yes:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A quick update as to what I've been up to. Last month I totalled out my wife's Volvo (16 year-old turned in front of me), so that took some time to sort out and buy a replacement car. During that time we went out one night in the Nova and unbeknownst to me an oil line came loose and dumped nearly all the oil. I finally realized something was wrong when it dropped to 20 psi oil pressure. I quickly shut it off and by some stroke of luck didn't do any damage. I dropped the oil pan and checked bearings just to be sure. For the past 3 weeks it has just been waiting it's turn while I work on rebuilding my Corvette's T56 and do a cam swap on a friend's C5. I sure do want to hear those turbos spool up someday...

21 - 40 of 73 Posts