Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front driver size hardline has rotted out causing sketchy at best brake times. Ive called cpp and the right stuff only to have them tell me they only make power brake lines for a 74.
Apparently 74 has some differences in lines that makes it a one year only thing or something.
Right stuff sells a complete 69 manual brake line kit and i've decided to bite the bullet and buy their manual front disc conversion. Would 69 full lines work on a 74(Im unsure of what difference they state)

I'd assume yes want to be sure before i drop the 700

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
The biggest difference between '69 vs. '74 disc brakes is the type of valving used. 1968 through 1970 used a distribution block (same as with drum/drum brakes) along with a separate metering valve for the front discs. 1971 & later used a combination valve that incorporates both a metering valve for the front discs and a proportioning valve for the rear drums.

'74 brake lines aren't one year only, but manual disc brakes were never offered as a factory option this year (only power disc/drum). And I don't think manual discs were available in earlier year 3rd gens either so the '69 manual disc brake line kit that Right Stuff is offering is likely their own creation rather than a copy of a factory configuration. But if you're buying a whole disc brake kit (that likely includes a combo valve), I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on any 3rd gen Nova.

One other area of difference between the factory drum/drum vs. disc/drum brake lines is where the hard lines connect to the caliper flex lines. There is a mounting bracket located right at the hard/flex line transition and those brackets are in different spots on the subframe for drum vs. disc. So changing to factory style disc brake lines also requires a bracket change. But I think some of the disc conversion kits have lines designed to use the existing drum brake line brackets so that might not be an issue.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The biggest difference between '69 vs. '74 disc brakes is the type of valving used. 1968 through 1970 used a distribution block (same as with drum/drum brakes) along with a separate metering valve for the front discs. 1971 & later used a combination valve that incorporates both a metering valve for the front discs and a proportioning valve for the rear drums.

'74 brake lines aren't one year only, but manual disc brakes were never offered as a factory option this year (only power disc/drum). And I don't think manual discs were available in earlier year 3rd gens either so the '69 manual disc brake line kit that Right Stuff is offering is likely their own creation rather than a copy of a factory configuration. But if you're buying a whole disc brake kit (that likely includes a combo valve), I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on any 3rd gen Nova.

One other area of difference between the factory drum/drum vs. disc/drum brake lines is where the hard lines connect to the caliper flex lines. There is a mounting bracket located right at the hard/flex line transition and those brackets are in different spots on the subframe for drum vs. disc. So changing to factory style disc brake lines also requires a bracket change. But I think some of the disc conversion kits have lines designed to use the existing drum brake line brackets so that might not be an issue.
This is great information and cleared up the questions i had. Many thanks

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Ray, I had a 1974 nova custom with front drum brakes non power.
Yes, manual drum brakes were standard issue in '74. And the power assist option (RPO J50) could be added. But the only front disc brake option (RPO JL2) also included power assist. So that's why I said manual disc brakes were not offered as a factory option in '74.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts