Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the front subframes on these years interchangable? 69-74? My 69 has some front frame damage so I am considering a frame swap.

James

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Yes

Hi James,

Yes, the front subframes are interchangeable from 68-74 but there are some differences.

There was a detailed thread on here not too long ago that listed lots of subtle differences (a search should turn it up). But for the most part:

68-72 = directly interchangeable
73 = has some extra mounting tabs for the new "clamshell" engine mounts
74 = also has the extra mounting tabs for the engine mounts plus different front bumper mounting holes

·
14,588 Posts
I put a 74 subframe in my 72. Everything went in fine as far as engine etc. The only thing I had to change was to drill one new hole on each frame horn to mount the 72 bumper.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I put a 74 subframe in my 72. Everything went in fine as far as engine etc. The only thing I had to change was to drill one new hole on each frame horn to mount the 72 bumper.
I have one in my 71 also. You will also need to cut off the motor mount extension if you use your old style engine mounts. You could use the new style mounts and leave it on.

A 67 - 69 Camaro subframe will work as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool I got a line on a 71 roller for $500, so it looks like I will have a donor soon.:yes::yes::yes:

James

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Cool I got a line on a 71 roller for $500, so it looks like I will have a donor soon.:yes::yes::yes:

James
hi, can you post some pictures of the subframes you have? if you need really detailed info on the subframes, let me know i can help. if you have a strip car and not a conquers resto then you will be good to go...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BDK, my 69 is a driver, not really into car shows, I like to drive it like I stole it:yes::yes:: I will take a few shots when i get the roller home and throughout the subframe swap.

I have this horrible feeling that when I get the motor on the stand I'm gonna want to stroke it:eek::eek:, crank stroke it that is:yes::yes:

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts