Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
There were two optional transmissions: the Torque Drive and Powerglide. The Torque Drive is little known and very rare. This transmission is a manually shifted two-speed "semi-automatic;" it has a torque converter, yet it is shifted manually. It was used from 1968 through 1971, with the four- and six-cylinder engines only.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Definitely learned something new today as well. That two speed manual shift sounds interesting, but I'm sure these are very rare and not worth the hunt. Give me a nice 4 speed any day of the week!!

·
13,997 Posts
The Torque Drive transmission was cheap, too....just $68 and change. It was aimed at those who wanted an automatic, but didn't want to pay almost 3 times more for a PG. What they got was a shifted 2 speed with no clutch pedal that was barely capable even in the 4 and 6 cylinder cars.

Bob

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I like it! Something unique and different to look at. I can only take so many blue and red SSs :D

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like that you could change the plugs and wires one handed...with your eyes closed...while sitting down. Think of it: you could do that sitting on a barstool and not even have to put your beer down. Amazing.

·
13,997 Posts
I like it! Something unique and different to look at. I can only take so many blue and red SSs :D
I second that! I love these unique cars, even if they're not mega valuable or desireable.

Bob

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
IT'S A GOOD RIDE TO WORK ON, BUT $7K? :no:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wonder what 0-60 time is. I didnt know they made 4 cyls past the first gens. Had heard of that tranny though never seen one in person.

Anyone have a pic of one of these trannys out of a car?

·
Registered
761 Posts
pretty cool to see an unmolested car like this, don't believe I've even seen a third gen with the 4 banger before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts