Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belt does not line up with crank pulley. There is no adjustment on brackets so I'm thinking the flat pulley on the pump is the wrong one. If that's the problem then what's the GM part number for the correct one. thanks for your help, oilman

Attachments

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
OILMAN -----

I don't know any part #'s . (I'm more a "six" guy, sorry).

BUT, I had a problem like that when I installed my 68 Chev 250 motor into my 53 International. All I did was 'Remove P/S pulley --
& flip it over" ……………………… that was back in th' late 70's & still running like that ……. I'm just saying.

Or, it may fit that way , until you can get/find the correct pulley.

(but, then I'm cheap ….. :rolleyes:

jim

·
Registered
209 Posts
Belt alignment

Hi What year is the motor? What or where are the pulleys from? The power steering pump does not run with the alternator & water pump. The P/S pump should line up with the rear pulley groove & take a 7360 belt. There is also a double groove pulley witch will bring the belt in alignment because the pulley comes closer to the pump housing

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Oh So Close

The water pump pulley lines up with the crank pulley. The power steering pulley is just a little off, and perhaps canted inwards. I think you can get everything aligned with a few shims/washers and a straight edge.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it goes in the rear groove but the ps pulley is flat and I think I need a set back pulley to align the belt thanks

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Here are some pics I got from my son's 73, it should be the same for yours. The one pic with the numbers on it is from the water pump pulley, I could not see any numbers on the P/S pulley.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
you can see my son's P/S pulley does set back farther than yours does, I will look at some other pumps and pulleys I have laying around and see if I can find any numbers on them

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
looks like the P/S pully is too deep now, maybe it is for a short water pump set up?
I have a few laying around, I will see if there are any numbers on them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts