Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think a complete 12 bolt 373 (out of a 396 375 hp 4 speed m21). is worth I pulled the gears and carrier and swapped them with the 331 that's in my wifes 72 rally. it does have some pitting, but not bad all numbers are clear. if I was going to use it I would rebuild it, but I wouldn't say it needs it. been sitting in car for 24 years un touched until I parted the car out. prices I saw are all over the place. what do you guys think a honest value is if I sell it? thanks bhog

·
Registered
810 Posts
The housing itself is worth more to the right guy. But on average a rebuildable unit would be in the 400 to 600 dollar range. complete ready to drop in 1100 or so and that include new gears ect.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just curious what the codes read on the rear, and if you're sure it came out of a Nova originally. There's been discussion about the availability of a 3.73 in 69 Novas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a 69 ss original bb car, it was a 4 speed with a m21, 396 l78, 373 rear. the rear is at a friends house he did some work on the car for me. hes putting a cam in it now. im going to pick it up tomorrow or the next day, I will try to find all the codes and post them for you guys. are you saying that the 69 novas didn't come with 373 gears? from what I read they could be ordered through the dealer that way. the 373 ratio and up had to be ordered. but I guess the codes will tell us. if its a special order type thing what do you think it would be worth? tks

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
Complete, it should be $1000 to $1500 unless you find a buyer in need of that particular coded rear, then it may fetch a bit more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
after thinking about what what was said about the 373 on a 69 nova, I checked out a thread on super car registry. one guy says that any thing over 355 was a rpo order. another guy said it was a copo order. I hope I didn't chop up a copo. lol. but it was very, very rusty. no original motor and lost title. but I would still feel bad canabilizing a copo... and taz that's about what I was thinking a guy who has about 20 1967 to 1969 Camaros offerd me 1500 cash. I don't want to sell it yet (if ever) I just wanted to know what its worth. ill know today or tomorrow if its a nova or a Camaro rear. tks bhog

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heres the code on the drivers side of the axle tube. bu 052265. can you tell if this is from a nova or Camaro? or do I need more numbers , from some where else on the housing. tks bhog

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
I'm not sure if they can be distinguished from Nova to Camaro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts