Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've searched til I'm blue and jacked with these things until I'm ready to smash them and no luck.

Here's the deal. I bought new vent window chrome channels and seals. Trying to do this car right. Well, I couldn't get the glass re-set in the new chrome with the setting tape. I ruined a bunch of it trying different methods to get it in with no luck. The tape kept cutting on the edge up near the top and wouldn't hold afterwords. Sooo, screw that, I go get some window urethane and glue them in. That worked fine but now, after new rubbers installed, the windows come nowhere close to fitting where they will seal. I've tweaked around and got them better but still not good. So, I feel like I've got two options, get some black silicone and glue them in solid so to speak or try to find some good used ones.

Anyone have any luck replacing these things or should I just find some good ones?

p.s. this is the abbreviated version!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Try searching for Camaro vent window. Same concept since most first gen Camaro parts interchange and work the same. Just a thought.
Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Okay are you talking about the window trim around the glass? If so, get some more setting tape and wet it down with turpentine then shove the glass into the rubber and the channel - fast. At least that's what used to be done. The other way is to find a glass shop where the tech is over 50 and has a few gray hairs and ask him for a hand. Nothing against the younger crowd, most of them just haven't seen this kind of installation. The outer seal that the wing window fits into is well covered in the link from 6T6NOVA.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I USED A BIKE INNER TUBE AND SOME WINDSHIELD SILICONE BY 3M. PUT THEM IN THERE AND LET IT SET FOR A WEEK, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK, I WORK ON IT ON WEEKENDS! AFTER IT'S DRY, JUS TRIM THE EXCESS TUBE AND THERE YA GO!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the glass installed into the chrome frame, but they do not line up anywhere close enough to think about sealing correctly. I want to know if anyone has changed out the chrome frame with any success?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if it's not installed properly into the frame it will need to be taken out and redone... the windlacing is rather cheap, probably about 40 or 50 cents a foot. take the wing assembly to your local, reputable automotive glass shop and the guy/gal can set the glass properly for you for maybe $20.00. i had my local guy set mine for me a few years ago and that's what he charged me...

no need to buy a frame... the reproduction units are incorrect anyways... the hinge & pin assy are on the wrong plane for the vent & frame to operate/pivot correctly and they have to be bent/twisted to work. stick with the factory units if at all possible...

the windlacing isn't a piece of rubber alone. it's a mix of either rubber & cork & canvas or just cork & rubber... it's somewhat a specialty product that all automotive glass shops will carry...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the glass installed where it fits correctly in the frame. I tried using the window setting tape first but the edges of the new frames are sharp and kept cutting the tape while trying install it. The problem is like you said, the repop frames don't fit correctly. That was question, if anyone had messed with these and had success in getting them back together where they fit and worked right. I'll jack with them a little more and I've been trying to find some nice originals to put in.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Kyle, time for some pictures of your non fit dude. Like Flyer said you may have to do some bending & tweeking of the upper hinge. Pictures of how and where it doesn't fit will help us help you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts