Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Thinking about replacing both on my '68.
Still debating about billet or not, but anyway,
I've heard the SS hoods require a different part number
spring than a regular hood, true or false?? If anyone has
actual part numbers that would be helpful.
Thanks, Ken

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks, Ken
This is true, the SS springs are heavier to help with the extra of the hood louvers. I don’t have a part number though.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
529 Posts
This is true, the SS springs are heavier to help with the extra of the hood louvers. I don’t have a part number though.
I would have never guessed the springs were different! Goes to show what I 'thought' I knew about 68-72 Novas.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I would have never guessed the springs were different! Goes to show what I 'thought' I knew about 68-72 Novas.
I just recently learnt myself while disassembling a non SS car and was going to use the hinges and almost threw out my originals. Luckily I noticed before they went to scrap.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
529 Posts
I just recently learnt myself while disassembling a non SS car and was going to use the hinges and almost threw out my originals. Luckily I noticed before they went to scrap.
What did you notice that was different? Any visual clues like thicker wire, more coils, etc? Or just the fact that the SS hood wouldn't stay up with the non-SS springs? Are the hinges physically different also? Inquiring minds want to know as this kind of info can help for distinguishing a 'real' SS from a clone that is represented as a real mccoy.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
What did you notice that was different? Any visual clues like thicker wire, more coils, etc? Or just the fact that the SS hood wouldn't stay up with the non-SS springs? Are the hinges physically different also? Inquiring minds want to know as this kind of info can help for distinguishing a 'real' SS from a clone that is represented as a real mccoy.
There's a posting here somewhere about the wire diameter being thicker. It's easy to see when they side by side with the spring, but the hinge assemblies are the same. I think the hoods are just that little bit lazier without the heavier spring and GM probably didn't want the concern of hoods not staying open, so they went the safe route.

Here's the link to the other thread with the measurements.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648625&highlight=SS+hood+spring

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Hi,
And thanks for all the above info but:
I've searched hi and low on every parts supplier I could find but No ONE lists a different spring for an SS hood!!! I even have the 68 repair manual and it doesn't specify a different part number either. I do believe they are different though. The springs I ordered are listed as stock for camaro,nova and chevelles. The coil count was 25/26 for my original springs the new replacements ones have 27 coils. Really hard to tell if they are thicker or not without a micrometer to measure. Just my thoughts so far,
Ken

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Hi,
And thanks for all the above info but:
I've searched hi and low on every parts supplier I could find but No ONE lists a different spring for an SS hood!!! I even have the 68 repair manual and it doesn't specify a different part number either. I do believe they are different though. The springs I ordered are listed as stock for camaro,nova and chevelles. The coil count was 25/26 for my original springs the new replacements ones have 27 coils. Really hard to tell if they are thicker or not without a micrometer to measure. Just my thoughts so far,
Ken
I haven't been through my old GM books yet, but I have 2 pair of SS and one non SS set and both SS ones a thicker. I work with paper, so my hands/fingers are used to feeling for different thicknesses, but a vernier caliper is the best way to tell. The only other place I've found info was on Heartbeat City Comaro's site, that also states the same for the 1st gen SS camaro hood springs.

·
6,561 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks, Ken
I'm taking it you are wanting the hinges and springs for this ?:

If so you have more weight than just the hood louvers to support so if you do go with stock hinges, get the beefier springs. If you go with the billet hinges, see if they offer higher pressure struts.

On my 68 with it's original hinges and no louvers I have to press pretty hard to break the hood to get it to start coming down as the pivots are still nice and tight but on my 73 Nova Custom, I have the Camaro louvers on it as well as stainless steel inserts on the underside like yours and I had the hinges taken apart years ago to get plated and the original chrome plated springs on mine have a hard time holding the hood up.

Jim

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,113 Posts
This is interesting. Ill look In my OEM parts book and see what I can find.
Not that you could actually order a set, but maybe there's some NOS out there.
Its a PITA, trying to find the stuff in the front section then the actual PN in the back section, kinda like caterpillar parts books.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm taking it you are wanting the hinges and springs for this ?:

If so you have more weight than just the hood louvers to support so if you do go with stock hinges, get the beefier springs. If you go with the billet hinges, see if they offer higher pressure struts.

On my 68 with it's original hinges and no louvers I have to press pretty hard to break the hood to get it to start coming down as the pivots are still nice and tight but on my 73 Nova Custom, I have the Camaro louvers on it as well as stainless steel inserts on the underside like yours and I had the hinges taken apart years ago to get plated and the original chrome plated springs on mine have a hard time holding the hood up.

Jim
Hi,
Yeah, that's my '68. Actually had same issue years back, kinda hard coming down a little with the original springs and hinges. So about 2-3 years ago we pulled the motor for some upgrades and after reinstalling the hood I made the fatal mistake of putting a few drops of oil on the hinges. Ever since then won't stay up on it's own. I drilled one small hole on each hinge and insert a pin on each side to keep up since then. Finally want to correct that and get a new set of hinges and springs, but want to get the right replacements if i can,
Ken

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
This is from my GM parts book under the Nova, hopefully someone can clarify this better. It looks to me that 63 used the heavy spring like the Camaro.

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,113 Posts
more info

Here's what I found...Note that 1968 NOVA is not mentioned specifically, I believe its covered under "pass"... in other places in this manual it cites Nova. Like in pic 2/2 for the 71-71 hood. ( that PN agrees with the one in the post above, so maybe the SS hood did not have a different spring. ) Also SS IS specified, just not for the 1968 Nova....Sorry its not more help IRT that.

On the plus side the spring dimensions are shown.

Also, as shown in picture two the note about reworking the hole...Might have something to do with spring tension. Sorry this is not more help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,113 Posts
Ill look again this week and see if I missed a special section or something. Maybe I can find the vents as piece part and perhaps there is a note there. Ill see.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts