Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the correct application for the "SS" emblem that is on a plate in the center console on the 68 SS Nova? Is this used to cover the place where the console gauges go? If so which option or lack of option came with this cover/emblem? Would this be like a gauge delete??

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
console cover emblem..

I'm not 100% sure about 68 but, I think the console cover only had a Nova emblem...no SS. I can check our 69 car since it has the console with no gauges. There wasn't a "gauge delete" option....you could order the console and then order the special instrumentation package. The gauge package gave you the in dash tach... also and moved the fuel gauge down to the console.I have seen a few bucket seat cars with floor shift and no console at all....lots of choices back then.

wilma

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
871 Posts
I never seen that emblem on a nova console. But never say never. But looking at the cover it looks to narrow and to long for a nova console? It is also mising the 4 holes one in each corner to mount to the console. I would think it would mount just like the gauge package? I don't think it is nova but that is just my 2 cents.

Jason

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am wrong, it shouldn't have 4 screws in each corner for mounting the plate. It should have clips that go under it to hold it in place. The 4 scews I was thinking about was for the shifter plate. But I still think it looks to narrow. I can measure my console to compare if you had the measurements?

Jason

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have it, just somthing I saw on ebay. Compared to other plates currently listed it looks about the same to me.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
console emblem..

I went to greg's site and looked at the some of the COPO Nova pics....it appears that there is a different style emblem for that console. 68 stuff is weird....

I also checked my 69 car and the console has Nova in script on the plate where the gauges would have been. 68's also had special door panel and dash pad emblems, seat back inserts and steering wheel emblem....SO...maybe they ahd a special emblem for the console.

We just need a better photo of an original car....one of the Gibb cars would get it done.

wilma

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi

Hi,
Interesting, never seen an SS for the console also.
I'm attaching pics of my original 4 speed console
out of my '68 SS without the guage package.
Hard to see but is says NOVA, these are the ones
I have seen on non-guage 68 cars. I guess it wouldn't
bee too hard to mount an SS badge there instead, but
not sure if it's the real deal or not??? That one on E-bay
almost looks like the SS badge mounted above the glove box
on the '68s.
Ken

·
Registered
259 Posts
The SS emblem that is shown on ebay is the real deal. I have seen them before. You can see the alignment pin in the picture of the back side to prevent you from mounting it upside down. It is different than the dash emblem which says Nova across the top and the console one doesn't say it, only has the SS in a circle. I have never seen an original SS car console with this other emblem that Ken posted, but I have seen it in a non SS car console. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I know for a fact the SS emblem on the console was same as the dash pad on my 68 SS.

It was a match to the SS emblem on the dash pad.

My wife wrecked our 68 and my daughter hit the dash. bending the dash pad and the emblem broke off. ( daughter was fine except for bruising )

The emblem broke off the dash. I used the emblem from the console and placed installed it on the new dash pad. (I had a Hurst V-gate shifter) Console had to go!

man the things we did back then!

Al

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
There are two emblems for the 68 console. One standard and one for RPO L48 which was SS. Later in the year RPO L34 and L78 would use that same emblem. I show the standard emblem as 3927453 and the SS emblem as 3927454. This doesn't mean all SS cars received this emblem. It just means that GM did have 2 available and they designated one specifically for the SS cars. I am quite sure alot of 68 SS cars left the factory with a standard emblem. If the bin was empty for some reason or they changed suppliers they would have pulled from whatever they had available...

Tommy :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know for a fact the SS emblem on the console was same as the dash pad on my 68 SS.

It was a match to the SS emblem on the dash pad.

My wife wrecked our 68 and my daughter hit the dash. bending the dash pad and the emblem broke off. ( daughter was fine except for bruising )

The emblem broke off the dash. I used the emblem from the console and placed installed it on the new dash pad. (I had a Hurst V-gate shifter) Console had to go!

man the things we did back then!

Al

Wow. sorry to hear that. I'm glad everyone is ok. It must have been one heck of a crash to make the emblem come off. How did you get the console emblem to fit in the dash since it has different dimensions than the pad emblem? :confused: Did you cut up the opening to make it fit?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of untouched originals of the 68 L-78 Gibb Copo cars built the 2nd week of July. Not only is there a difference in the visual make-up of the two insigna's being discussed, but there is a difference in size. The console ensigna is roughly 1 7/8" long x 7/8" wide vs. the dash being only 1 1/2" long by 7/8" wide.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ran some numbers from the nova resource site and a total of 5633 cars got consoles in 68 of which 1368 got the gauges leaving 4265 without. Total production of SS cars is just over 3% of total cars produced. Assuming the percentage remains constant, 3% of 4265 is about 128. No wonder most have never seen that emblem! :eek: How many SS cars got the center console? I have seen a lot of 68 bench seat cars and bucket cars without a console. I would imagine if you ordered an SS you would want the console with the gauges? Either way, this emblem is one of the rarest chicken lips I have ever seen. Thanks for posting those pictures Ray.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
My console emblem looks like the door panel emblem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts