Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
interesting

Im not sure about that steering wheel, doesnt look like an SS wheel

and the hoods blue, not likely a real ss hood, prob got crunched,

glad its too much money, glad im honest, or id be tempted to buy it, and do something stupid
LOL

AND
im thinking he's a liar

He said the vin is on the engine block
I thought in 68 only corvette did that for GM??????

Steve

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The hood is definitely not right. It has a '73-'74 hood on it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It appears to have the non SS grille or at least it's not painted like an SS grile, and why do so many people mount the SS grille emblem upside down like this one is? :slap:

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I am certainly no expert on third gene cars but something does not feel right about that poor old car.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Wow, what a POS. :beat:
Yep I have to agree there. I am just curious what is the point of an original SS? To just say you have an original ss? I know it may be worth more but still when push comes to shove I'd rather see a pro touring or pro street car or something custom at a car show. Alot of my uncles even said why keep them original and stock we didnt even do that when we drove them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree the hood is defintly wrong for the year.. my 68 matching#'s block does have a partial vin matching the vin on the car so that could be true. did anyone see the L48 option on the build sheet? if that sheet belongs to thatcar she's an SS ,,,, just had a very hard life I would say... and .....how hard is it to find those lower fender super sport badges??? if anyone know where to get them let me know ... I have misplaced mind in the rebuilding process..

somebody save her!!! please

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I believe only the 327 had the oil fill tube in 1968. The 350 did not.

The hood is definitely not right. It has a '73-'74 hood on it.
That's a 1974 hood (at least it has a 1974 emblem). 1968-72 hoods don't have a "Nova" emblem on the driver side, only 1973-74. 1973 had a small Chevy bowtie after the "a" in "Nova" while 1974 only said "Nova" on the hood with a bowtie in the grille (on non-SS).

did anyone see the L48 option on the build sheet? if that sheet belongs to thatcar she's an SS
I did and I agree. The VIN on the protect-o-plate matches the VIN listed in the auction. Also, the engine code on the protect-o-plate (2nd line on the right) is V1102MS which decodes to an L48 350 4-speed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
J&W Nova parts sells repro lower fender "Super Sport" emblems.

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
J&W Nova parts sells repro lower fender "Super Sport" emblems.
The man that had been reproducing them passed away a couple years ago. J&W just hasn't decided to remove the listings from the catalogs. No one is repopping them at this time. They show up on ebay quite often though.

Tommy :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Those repop emblems lack the crisp detail in the lettering like the originals. The repops have a rounded off / buffed look to the edges of the letters. They do show up from time to time on ebay. Don't get me wrong, they look great on the car but if your into details regarding originality they are not exact. I have 3 NOS emblems, a pair of rechromed ones and one used one that I bought off ebay over the years in addition to the two originals on my car. They take a beating on the road if you like to drive your car like I do so it helps to have replacements for the next 40 years or so! :yes: I'm saving the NOS ones for show only and swap out with the others when crusin'.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It started in 70 and was optional.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
were is the rear anti sway bar on the 12 bolt, or was that only in 70
I think it was an option.

Based on the rest of the car, that rear doesn't look original.

Aren't the last 6 digits of the VIN supposed to match on the build sheet? Or is that the trim tag sequence number?

Doesn't look like the SS wheel is original, as stated above.

Looking at this makes me so happy I bought mine when I did.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
68 ss...

Our original 68 SS 350 car had the oil fill tube in the intake....F-41 sway bar came out mid-year 1970...all SS cars got it as well as the Deuce and it could be ordered as an option on other Novas. Build sheet looks correct for this vintage car...cowl tag should match build sheet...VIN should be on the deck stamp along with engine code/assembly date stamp. Steering wheel is not correct...all SS cars had the deluxe wheel. 68's are rare...get 'em while ya can :rolleyes:

wilma

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Agreed. 68's in general are rare and all that car needs is a little TLC. Im not sure if its worth 5 grand but i'd definatly take that project on for the right price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts