Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my tank today because while it sat it developed A pin hole and leaked about 10 gallons of 115 octane onto the garage floor (not while I was welding pans LOL). Anyway, being A 68 it only has one line coming out of the tank and its on top but I didn't realize it's A 5/16 line :confused: . It goes to the end of the pass side of the tank then is joined by A short rubber fuel line (maybe3 inches) then the rest of the fuel line is 3/8 up to the fuel pump on the block. I kinda figured the line would be 3/8 from the tank to the pump:confused: . The other thing is the tank had A ton of little lead like bb's in it, could they be part of the tank thats coming apart or maybe part of the sending unit?

Tommy:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I think you're correct on the 69' tank (w/the HiPo 350 or BB) applications and the return line, but even those w/the return line, tie into the sending unit I believe. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel line comes off the sending unit which is transfered to the new tank, right?
The line comes directly out of the top of the sending unit and makes A immediate bend to the pass side before being mated with A large 3/8 line.

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

The wet area around the sending unit is Pb Blaster not A fuel leak. The tank has A pin hole underneath.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'm almost positive my 69 L78 is 3/8 from tank and it looks identical to what you have.GM still sells L78 sending unit part no. should be 6428845 the line and unit should be one unit.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I pulled some fuel line clips from a 68 6cyl parts car. They were for a 5/16 inch fuel line. My 69 V-8 used 3/8 inch. You can get the sending unit repop with 3/8 line. The return line style is not reproduced. The GM part is no longer available. Earl

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
MNYenko said:
I pulled some fuel line clips from a 68 6cyl parts car. They were for a 5/16 inch fuel line. My 69 V-8 used 3/8 inch. You can get the sending unit repop with 3/8 line. The return line style is not reproduced. The GM part is no longer available. Earl
I am looking in the assembly manuel for a 69 and can not find the diagram that list the part numbers for the fuel lines, or showing where the return fuel line connects to. Does it come from the fuel pump, or carb?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Both of my 69's don't have return line one BB & one SB but are 3/8 lines in both cars.Pretty sure no 69 have return lines but I'm not 100%.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
69 SS 350 has the Return Line.It is on my Wifes Car.They are avalible.It has a 3/8 Fuel Line and the Return Plumbs into the Fuel Filter.
My BB Cars 69 and 70 Have 3/8 with no Return.
Up to 72 SB Cars (SS) have the Return.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Taz,
Just Read your post and dont want to sound like I Disagree with you,Maybe some do and Some dont?Is the Sb a SS Car?
Joe

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, all my lines look very original and factory. I noticed the ground wire that attaches the sending unit to the bottom of the car had been cut and retaped (you can see the tape on the wire in the pic I posted)so I suppose it is possible the tank may have been replaced sometime... :confused:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Joe said:
Taz,
Just Read your post and dont want to sound like I Disagree with you,Maybe some do and Some dont?Is the Sb a SS Car?
Joe
Joe I think your right some do and some don't w/SB

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
taz3 said:
Both of my 69's don't have return line one BB & one SB but are 3/8 lines in both cars.Pretty sure no 69 have return lines but I'm not 100%.
My '69 SB SS car has the 1/4" return line(I think that is the size?)...So some '69's must have came with return lines:confused:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
69NovaSS thanks for your post good to know about these little differences.I'm no Nova pro so feel free to disagree.The guys here are willing to help not just prove each other wrong so no hard feelings here.

Paul

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
taz3 said:
69NovaSS thanks for your post good to know about these little differences.I'm no Nova pro so feel free to disagree.The guys here are willing to help not just prove each other wrong so no hard feelings here.

Paul
Hey Paul...I hope I didnt come across as a know it all as that is NOT the case...I'm not here to argue or prove that I know more then anyone cause that is not the case either(I know the next best thing to squat)...I'm here to learn and to share the little I do know...No hard feelings here and I hope I didnt create any:eek:

Duane

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Are you kidding this is the greatest I love everthing that's offered by everyone.Never even crossed my mind that you might try showing me up.The guys here including you are AWSOME,there is no such thing as a dumb question here because I probally got a few to ask before I'm done and anyone with an answer offers just that.

THANKS Paul

1 - 20 of 35 Posts