Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently checked out a 68 Nova in pretty good condition. The body and paint were pretty nice, interior was all redone, and the motor was a bored out 383 with some pretty high mileage for 4 years since rebuild, but running good.

Owner had a Hotchkis suspension and the car was dropped a couple inches overall and sitting slightly lower in the nose. Front two shocks were squeaking quite a bit at first, owner said he hadn't taken in out in a while, and it did lessen after a test drive. The handling however was VERY poor, and it had some bad oversteer. The car didn't pull in any direction but when it got going in a certain direction it had a tendency to get boaty and I had to fight it to keep it straight. Couldn't even drive it with one hand. I had my father drive it up on the freeway and off pretty quick just to get it up to 60mph and it was a little scary, I think the steering box needs to be gone through. Turning radius is very poor too. Its a really nice car overall but I'm wondering what can I do to make this car handle better, I know it has a Hotchkis so I'm surprised it wasn't better.

Thoughts? I know old cars are boaty, but I drive a 4x4 right now and my father said it was even pretty bad for a Nova because he owned a 69 Firebird and had friends with Nova's back in the day. What it would take and approximately how much. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
shaky front end

This could be a bunch of different things going on here. Alignment? ball joints? steering box and related parts? Tires ? installation of the front clip?If your thinking of buying have an alignment shop look it over first b4 you spend you$$$ could be a can of worms you might not want to open.IMO

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Would have to look over the whole front end and then get an alignment.

My old 72 floats down the road effortlessly with one hand. I did replace upper and lower ball joints(Moog), but it was great even before I did those. Steers super easy with power steering.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
As mentioned, there must be an underlying issue, these cars are fairly easy to drive one handed and not excessively floaty, even my BB car with manual steering is fairly easy to drive 60 + mph.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's not what I wanted to hear, but good advice nonetheless. I'm going to be driving a few others soon and see how they do in comparison, its really the only way I can find out right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts