Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When intalling the two lower fender attaching bolts on my 68 the front bolt is a 3/8 thread and the back bolt is a 7/16 threaded bolt. Is this a 68 only deal or is anybody elses like that :confused:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jeff, Are you talking about the 2 bolts that hold the fender to the core support? If so they should both be 3/8 bolts.

Jason

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
When intalling the two lower fender attaching bolts on my 68 the front bolt is a 3/8 thread and the back bolt is a 7/16 threaded bolt. Is this a 68 only deal or is anybody elses like that :confused:
I have seen that before also on a Camaro, both sides!
The 2 bolts on the bottom of the fender infront of the door

they have big washers!!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jeff, Are you talking about the 2 bolts that hold the fender to the core support? If so they should both be 3/8 bolts.

Jason
For some odd reason I only thought the nova had one bolt at the bottom dog leg of the fender. I was wrong! I just looked up a picture. It has been a couple of years since I hung a nova fender. Jeff I can check my car out too see what I used but you really need an original car to figure this one out. I want to say I used 2 3/8 bolts with the big washer?

Jason

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one hole by the door has a bigger thread. The 3/8 wouldnt tighten up. Maybe somone has a original car that can help us.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Could the larger bolt be some kind of body repair kit from prevous body repair??

Any body repair guys in the house?????

AL

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Maybe somone has a original car that can help us.

Jeff, give Zach on the SYC a holler. He just pulled the front cap off his 68. 19,000 miles on the car and in original paint. As detailed as he is, he probably photographed and bagged every bolt.

Tommy :)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
im not sure on the 68 but my 69 got 2 3/8" bolts on each side and the washer o.d. measures 1 1/4" while the ones on top measure 3/8" also with a 1 1/16" o.d. washer......only the 4 lower had the larger washer for 69 and up. but i think 68 used the 1 1/4" washer all over....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jeff-- Just checked my bolts the two lower fender bolts both are 3/8-16 (9/16 hex) with a 1 1/8 big washer the upper fender bolts are also 3/8-16 with a 1 1/8 big washer. The front fender core support bolts are 5/16-18 (1/2 hex)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Both bolts are suppose to be the same size. The reason that yours are larger is that at some time the bolts must of rusted and broke or could of been cross threaded or stripped. Someone has probably drilled the hole and tapped the hole out. Usually while the hole is being drilled the drill is not perfectly centered. What happens then is while your drilling a new hole, You end up drilling some of the old bolt and some of the original nut welded in the cowl. The when you start to tap the new hole with the original size tap, whats left of the remaining bolt usually will come out. Hence why having to step up to the next size bolt. How do I know how this happens??? :mad: One of the rear cowl bolts on my 68 is larger just for this very reason!

Edit: Both bolts are 3/8 in diameter from factory.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone! I didnt make sense to have two different size bolts there.The front end has been off before and I imagine they had trouble with the bolts and tapped them out to the next size like 1969novass suggested. Just wanted to be sure it wasnt a 68 only thing!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Zack Carter in Dallas TX who bought Tommy's 68 6 cyl car, and he has the front end off the car and was asking him about the lower fender bolts and his back bolt is made into the body like mine is 7/16" thread also! I dont know when they stopped doing it but mine is a May/68 car..

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I checked my other 68 in the garage that is a dec of 67 and it has the same 3/8 bolts for both lowers. The one I am working on now is a mar of 68.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts