Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I know this has been asked a thousand times before. What is involved with getting this switch out. I have a new one--plus a new key insert w/ new keys. My old one keeps sticking and has to be manually flipped back so the starter won't hang. So I'm stuck in the garage til I get some help. Any old posts of this that someone could send me to? Thanks--Eric

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I just bought a dash with a missing key. I need to know the same answer. There is a hole in the face plate to insert a pin in. They you are suppossed to be able to pull the switch out by turning it backwards and pulling. I just took the one out out the dash I had with a die grinder and a drill. The dash was broke and I wanted save what I could.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
Put in the key and turn it CCW to the "Accessory" position. Push a paper clip in the hole, depress the spring-loaded catch, and turn the key farther CCW. The key and lock should then pull straight out, leaving the switch.

This isn't a 68, but the idea is the same:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Is there anyway to do this without the key? I just bought a 68 dash with the switch but no key. The other bash I bought that was broken was missing the key. I removed it with a die grinder and chisel. The dash was broken and I'm trying to repair it. I have it looking good, I just need to figure out how to cover the repair.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
Only way to get it out without the key is to pick the lock...or drill out the pins. A locksmith will be able to pick it for you, a 3/16" drill into the key hole as deep as the key goes in should open up enough space for the pins to come out (dunno for sure, haven't tried it myself.) In any case, you'll still need to push the retaining pin in and turn CCW to get the lock cylinder out.

I bought a switch without a key...and ended up picking the lock to get the old cylinder out. There's a trick to it...I'll post pix if anyone is interested. It involves drilling another paperclip-sized hole, so you must have access to the back side of the switch (ie the ignition switch is out of the dash, or you have the whole dash out with the switch attached)

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Thatnks Patman, I think when I get my new dash I'm going to take it to a locksmith. 68 dash bezels are to hard to come by to break it taking it apart on my own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys
Took your advice with the paper clip and turning the switch to acc. Came out--put a new key and ignition switch in and ready to go. Of course being a contortionist under the dash helps!!Thanks again----Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts