Chevy Nova Forum banner

What's it worth?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Pontiac guy that's looking to buy a '68 Chevy II Nova and am looking for a little insight on what to offer.
The car has a full roll cage, aluminum interior, set back firewall, ladder bars, 9" with a spool, and a glass cowl induction hood. No engine. The work & paint was done close to 30 years ago and there is bubbling in the paint & rust in the usual places.
Overall, the car is in decent shape, but the owner hasn't done anything to it in close to 20 years and none of the original interior is there. The car will definitely need rust repair around the front & rear glass, as well as a few other places, a new trunk pan, fuel tank, floor patches/replacement, driver's window regulator & parts....

It looks better in the pictures than it does in real life.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

·
Premium Member
4,246 Posts
I'm a Pontiac guy that's looking to buy a '68 Chevy II Nova and am looking for a little insight on what to offer.
The car has a full roll cage, aluminum interior, set back firewall, ladder bars, 9" with a spool, and a glass cowl induction hood. No engine. The work & paint was done close to 30 years ago and there is bubbling in the paint & rust in the usual places.
Overall, the car is in decent shape, but the owner hasn't done anything to it in close to 20 years and none of the original interior is there. The car will definitely need rust repair around the front & rear glass, as well as a few other places, a new trunk pan, fuel tank, floor patches/replacement, driver's window regulator & parts....

It looks better in the pictures than it does in real life. View attachment 443298 View attachment 443299 View attachment 443300

View attachment 443298
View attachment 443299

View attachment 443300
From 20’ away it looks okay. I see some of the paint bubbling. What is your goal with the car?
I’ve bought 6 novas so far and what I’ve learned is I would try to buy the most solid body nova. Buy once cry once. I bought a 63 wagon off another sns member and it’s an Oakland California car. He helped me ship it. I have no buyers remorse. A few small patch panels and I’m set. No biggie for us. All that to say: you might try to find a survivor car with as close to original paint as possible from California, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. I was told my 69 camaro was a California car til I ran the vin. It’s from Ohio. Yes it spent time on California but was not built there California. 🫣🤷‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️.

I would be very reluctant to buy a car in primer. it took me two turns to figure that one out!
Both had a fair amount of rust.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went through a similiar deal a few years ago on my 69. The things I learned/would say are what do you want to do with the car, what’s your budget to get it there and do you have any mechanical skills (i.e. welding, sheet metal, paint, etc.)? Take all those things into account before you make an offer. These things can snowball fast depending on your vision for the car. I learned that the hard way.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,374 Posts
If you are looking to build a strip only car and you have the skill to replace body panels it could be a candidate. It would cost way more to turn it back to a street car than the finished car would be worth.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would price it around $2500, at most, and not a penny more.

The rot in the panels means there is rot on the bottom, and the fact that it's been sitting a long time means you'll be starting from scratch with all the plumbing (brake lines, fuel lines, etc). The firewall being messed with, the cobbled wiring that can be seen hanging out of the dash, and lack of interior are going to be a nightmare to correct if you ever wanted to make it into a street car.

If I were you, I would hard pass on this one. It's way too far gone to make into a street car without sinking ridiculous money into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My plan is to get rid of most of the 90's drag strip stuff and bring it back to a daily driver. What I don't know, is the market for '68 Nova's. If it was a '68 Firebird/Tempest/Lemans, I would put it in the $2000-$4000 range. If it was a '68 - '72 Chevy SWB pickup, it would probably go for somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000-$6000.
I see '69 Nova's pretty regularly, but I rarely see a '68 so I didn't know if they're worth more or less.

BTW, this isn't my first restoration.
I took a complete rust bucket '67 Firebird that sat in a field for 15 years with no glass and turned it into the bottom picture that is now my daily driver.
The only thing that I can\t take credit for is the paint.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
841 Posts
Personally, I like it, but that’s where I’m trying to arrive with my Nova. I’ve got a daily driver that gets good MPG, I’ve got a vehicle I can drive in the winter. What I want is a fun street / strip car that I can wrench on. I figure if you’re going to put a bunch of ponies under the hood you should do your best to make the car safe and that would mean adoption of NHRA rulebook.

Rollcages on street cars may not be your bag. If it’s not, I think you’re best off looking at another Nova because assuming the cage was done well and it’s certifiable it’s a couple grand alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts