Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've had this car for a few months now and I've been able to do a few things to it so I thought I would share my progress with the group. I've been looking at what kind of car I want to build and I really like the pro touring stuff but right now I just really want to drive the thing!

This is what I have to work with

The old floors

While waiting to save up enough to buy new floor pans I decided I would start building a new dash

Once the floor pans came in I took a little break from the dash to try my hand at the floor pans

Took a little time getting the old floors out

wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for all the spot welds every two inches

first side prepped and ready for a new floor :D

I got in a hurry and ended up cutting a little to much of the old floor out and left a small gap :mad: make sure you put enough weight on the new floor when/ if you draw a line on old floor so you don't make the same mistake I did

I got them both in, in one day! :yes: It only took me about three more weeks to finish them. :bored: (work and school takes a lot of time away from the nova)

Filling that gap took a lot out of me :sleep:

all the welding is the easy part, grinding all of this crap was a PITA :bored:

The old floor under the pedals was rotted out farther than the new pan went so I decided to piece it in

moved on to those stupid "drain holes?" extra work awesome! :bored:

Just about done! :D

body filler, ugh!

Finally done!!! :D:turn:

So now its back to the dash, which I am now almost done with. And on to the engine!

454 bbc! :yes:

New cam, roller lifters, timing chain and matched valve springs, retainers, locks, and stem seals

Oh yea!! :D:yes::turn: roller lifters!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got some more done on the dash, it's getting close!

Not helping!

My other helper

I WANNA GO FAST!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's some more dash pics.

just about done with it, just need to fill, sand, and paint. I'm not quite sure on how I'm going to wrap the instrument panel yet.

I'll be assembling the engine in a couple weeks when i get the last few parts i need from summit.:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the valves lapped and put in today. one step closer!!:turn:

hopefully tomorrow it won't be raining :pray:so i can put the freeze plugs in, re-hone that rear cylinder, put in the camshaft, lifters, and the crankshaft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, today I put the freeze plugs in and put the first cam bearing in and then realized that my bearing tool was too big to fit in the gap to put the rest of them in so now I am forced to wait til I can get the tool cut down. seeing as it was my day off I wanted to do something so I pulled the dash emblem out of the old dash to clean it along with the horn button.

I also painted the dash to keep it from rusting because the moisture in the air was turning it brown. It still needs to be filled and sanded.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a little more done on the dash, can't wait til it's done!! :D

Decided to paint the column gloss black and have now decided the rest of the dash needs to be gloss too! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got some engine work done this week!

at this rate I'll have it running by next year, hahaha... aww :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some parts in!!! :turn:

Transmission is in, seats as well (swivel style from a Monte Carlo)

Out with the old...

In with the new!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't like the stock Camaro shifter so I made my own

I decided that this stainless hitch ball was just about the right size

what a little jewelers rouge can do

OUCH...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it's been awhile since I posted last but a lot has happened as well. I was forced to move my car to a storage facility about five months ago because of complaining neighbors,:mad: not happy about that at all! Oh well. I got the engine running finally!!!:D:turn: Had a few problems with the oil pump drive shaft being to short, somehow I grabbed one from one of the 350's, don't know how I managed that :no:. Now I'm working on brakes and I'm waiting for my new gas tank, pick up, and anti squeak straps to come in so I can install them next week. The old tank had about an eighth of an inch of rust/gunk built up:eek: shouldn't be to long til I'm done but it probably will be the way my luck is going... I've waited this long though, right??

Anyway here's some of what I've been up too.

If only it were that easy. The pedals are just setting there to see how they were going to fit. They had to be recessed other wise the master cylinder on the far right would hit the valve cover.

So I made this little box to fix the problem!

Then I cut a big hole in the fire wall...

Now they don't hit the valve cover but they are pushed so far back under the dash I have to slide the seat all the way back just to sit comfortably :(

Looks cool though

Well I decided it's not going to work with both master cylinders, so I'm going to use a single tandem one I found on Ebay that will fit where the middle master cylinder hole is so I can still use the pedals. It was worth a try though :yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts