Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used the following kit from Goodmark? Is it a direct replacement or generic breed? How do you install screws or ? Are they pre-bent or straight pieces that you form? Any and all comments welcome. Also looking for new outer window sweeps for 2 door 73.

431 - Glass Run Channel Kits
4012-431-681S 1968-74 2-door Sedan (set of upper and rear glass run channel for one car) Fed Ex $ 39.95 kit

Thanks

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Hi bowtiebutch,

I used Classic Muscle's window run channels Part #N136 ($20 for a pair) in both my 74 & 77. They fit snugly into the window frame channels just like the originals. There's no glue, screws, or other fasteners involved.

They're basically just two 8 foot long sections of the felt lined rubber channel. You have to cut a little V shaped notch in them to bend them around the 90 degree top rear corner. Look closely at how the originals are cut and use that as a guide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the rear quarter windows? They are formed U shaped metal lined with felt I think. I have one that is totally destroyed. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

What I did on mine (including the where there were metal channels in the quarter window) was buy bulk GM-style window channel out of the JC Whitney catalog (It's in the weatherstripping section). I can't remember how many feet I got but I used screws in the quarter window area like factory and weatherstrip aheasive in the other window channels and I haven't had a leak anywhere. Very inexpensive and works great.

Jason

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Hi bowtiebutch,

Just so there isn't any confusion, the Classic Muscle #N136 run channels that I posted above are for the door windows. I lucked out and didn't have to replace the run channels in my 74's quarter windows. But what Jason did sounds like a good solution.

Regarding the outer window sweeps, I don't think you can get just the ones for the quarter windows without buying a whole set. Classic Muscle has them though. #OWFS-615 is a set of 73/74 2-door window felts that have the original style chrome bead. While #RWFS-615 is a set of less expensive "replacement type" window felts. I think the "replacement type" felts have a flat (rather than rounded bead) chrome trim or maybe no chrome trim at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason how did you attach the metal bracket to the rear quarter channels? I was thinking to drill out rivits and use screws or pop rivits I guess I could tack weld it. Did the channels from Whitney come in straight lenghts and are they easy to shape? Thanks

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
What size?

Hi Jason628, Im going to replace the both the drivers side and passengers side weather stripping for the window channels and im taking your advice and using JC Whitney. I have a question though. When i go to there website and look up there product Click Here I have 11 different options to choose from. Could you tell me wich one you used for your 73. Im sure it would be the same for my 74. :yes:

Thanks Blake

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Hi Jason628, Im going to replace the both the drivers side and passengers side weather stripping for the window channels and im taking your advice and using JC Whitney. I have a question though. When i go to there website and look up there product Click Here I have 11 different options to choose from. Could you tell me wich one you used for your 73. Im sure it would be the same for my 74. :yes:

Thanks Blake
Greetings,

It's been a couple of years since I did it and I don't have any extra laying around. What you need to do is measure what you have now as you noticed all of them are different widths. If my memory serves me right it was style 20 but definitely double check what you have as far as the width goes. That's how I figured it out for mine.

Jason

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just replaced all mine. I bought the rear 1/4 window channels from J&W Nova Parts. Pretty nice units, $110. I know it's a little pricey but free time doesn't come easy in my life these days. The channel that runs along the top and rear is left long and you cut it to match the one you remove. I called them and they said I should have to cut them but they were 3" to long, so I'm assuming the manufacturer does that intentionally and J&W just doesn't know what they're selling. Installation went pretty quick with only a few cus words.

Good Luck.

http://www.novaparts.com/cgi-bin/commerce/commerce.cgi

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Just replaced all mine. I bought the rear 1/4 window channels from J&W Nova Parts. Pretty nice units, $110. I know it's a little pricey but free time doesn't come easy in my life these days. The channel that runs along the top and rear is left long and you cut it to match the one you remove. I called them and they said I should have to cut them but they were 3" to long, so I'm assuming the manufacturer does that intentionally and J&W just doesn't know what they're selling. Installation went pretty quick with only a few cus words.

Good Luck.

http://www.novaparts.com/cgi-bin/commerce/commerce.cgi
He may have already done it... this was two years ago!:eek::p:D

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
If you replace the vertical rear quarter glass run channels be very careful of the length of the new screws. If they are too long they will pop through the opposite side:mad:eek:. Guess how I found:yes: out!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Window jamming/binding.

I forgot to ask. When I replaced my channels the guides that sit on the front of the rear 1/4 glass were sitting in the bottom inside. I glued them both back on but now that I've replaced the channels both windows bind in the front. I removed the front channel and tried it without it and it still binds when you’re trying to roll it up?? Basically it pushes the window forward while it's still at an angle and wedges itself between the front and rear channel. Anyone run into this and what the cure is?

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts