Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to mount a 68-72 gas tank in a 73/74 with a modification to the underside of trunk pan. Are the tanks the same the way they mount with the exception of the extra hump on the 73/74's? If they are could you just make some sort of adapter that was a sort of a "U" shaped and long enough to cover the hump area and be able to be attached it to the bottom of the floor pan over where the hump would go. This would make up for the lack of the tank hump on the 68-72 tanks and then be able to mount the older tank securely? I've never seen both tanks side by side or even the bottom of the trunk floors on both vehicles so I can't make any comments on if this would work. From the tanks I've seen online they look very similar mounting wise with the exception of the hump on top. Can anyone with experience with the two tanks and year ranges comment on if this would work?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I DON'T think they will swap.

Look at the two tanks : the tank "body" might be very close ---

But, the filler neck -- is way different -- 68-72 tank filler neck is at the lower bumper. The 73-74 gas filler neck … is located in the rear tail light panel --------- it's higher.

I think they both mount very close to the same way … same size …. but, the neck won't match-up .

just my 2cents .. jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put a 68-72 tank on my 74. I also replaced the bumper, tail light panel, and the filler tube with a 68-72. It will works but the filler tube does not have enough "fall" to completely fill the tank. I can get the tank approx. 3/4 full before gas comes out of the tube. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
59Rah, did you put the 68-72 tank in with your original 74 floor or did you change the trunk floor? If so how did you get the tank to bolt up? Also, with the older tank if you had the filler going through the 72 filler location in the bumper and you still were not able to fill it all the way, what was the cause of that? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this. I guess I'm trying to see understand why the tank works in the 72's but not the 73/74s. I got a nice deal on f/r bumpers so hoping to get them bolted up by the end of the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts