Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard and read a couple of posts about people running into issues with the Chevy Nova quarter window channels when they are buying replacement kits. 3 photos attached showing ...

71 quarter window
71 quarter window quide
original window channel vs replacement window channel

As you can see my 71 has a guide on the quarter window (pic 1-2) and when you look at the old channel (pic 3) you can see the back section the channel runs in

staying on pic 3 you can also see the replacement channel as supplied by Classic Industries ... there is no channel for the window guide.

WHAT ARE YOU MEANT TO DO ?????

The window jambs up with the guide on there, the old channel fluffy stuff is knackered so I cant use it.

Is there a place that sell the channel as per factory spec or are you meant to cut the channel guide off the window ??

Any help - ideas - solutions - suggestions appreciated.

Q

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm, reply from Classic Industries - as noted on their website - but not in the parts book .... grrr

THIS SET IS NOT INTENDED TO REPAIR AN INOPERATIVE QUARTER WINDOW. IT IS A CONVERSION SET TO MAKE THE QUARTER WINDOWS STATIONARY. THIS IS CURRENTLY THE ONLY OPTION AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET FOR DEFECTIVE QUARTER WINDOWS

Now I have a decision to make :
- stationary rear quarter window with new felts
- usable rear quarter window with 40yr old felts

Q

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Now I have a decision to make :
- stationary rear quarter window with new felts
- usable rear quarter window with 40yr old felts Q
If you are not going to send the vertical channel away to be restored then the next best option is to re-install the old vertical channel and use your new stuff for the rest of the window. It will not rattle due to the plastic glide on the window fitting snugly in the channel, will keep most of the wind and rain out except if you power wash and most importantly still work. That is what I did. I had Classic put that warning on the web site but it looks like they need to update the catalog also. Jack

·
Registered
34 Posts
how did you get on with this in the end?
did you install all new weather stripping from classic industries? what did you think of the fit etc of what you got. the pain of waiting weeks for something to arrive to find it isnt what you hoped in quality or whatever makes it hard.
i see in your other thread you were going to try find someone here in nz to restore the vertical felts in your channels, any luck?

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Classic Closed Windows

I wondered why I had so much trouble getting my quarter windows to roll up and down with my new felt kits from Classic.

Good to know they aren't supposed to go up and down. This will make it easier for me the next time I am "feeding" the window up into the track.

There are times when having the back windows down is a good thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Felts that don't work right, ain't right! I will remember this when my time comes. I have 5 sets of original quarter windows and half as many original felts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not sure if things have changed but here is an excerpt of an email I exchanged with restoration specialties in January of 2017 regarding my 1970 Nova

“yes i have eenough material to do a few more sets
$140.00 to rebuild all 4 pieces
be very careful with the front guide

they must not get kinked or they will not work“

They did great work for me and feel fortunate to have been able to work with them. However, I will say other than rolling the windows up and down a few times after installing them, I have not had the quarter windows down once in the last few years.

With that in mind, if it was not for this defect in my brain that requires everything to work as intended, I don’t think I would be too disappointed if I was limited to a kit that makes the windows inoperable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Know how u feel I just put in 1/4 window assy in my 64 what a pain know they will only roll down all but two inches sticking up I’m baffled any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have installed these into my 71. Work as they should. No problems. They do come long and need to be trimmed to length.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They are at SS396 and ebay. I'm sure there are more locations that sell them. Classic Ind claims there are no other options on there site.

Classic has two window channels that put the window in a fixed state:
And two that allow the window to roll as intended:

I don't know if there's any quality issues with them, as I haven't rebuilt my 1/4 windows yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just don't know why you would make a kit that doesn't "fix" the window??? I'm glad they now make kits that fix the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts