Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 coupe with a 283/powerglide. I have been given a 700r4 and would like to use it. I had planned on a th350 but overdrive would be nice. I would like to know what i need to do to make it work with a colum shifter. if anyone has any info i would be greatful.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I posted a similar question not too long ago titled "700r4 should I ? ".The guys gave me a lot of good info.If you do a search under "drivetrain and performance you should be able to find it.
good luck !

·
Registered
5 Posts
700r4

I have a 67 coupe with a 283/powerglide. I have been given a 700r4 and would like to use it. I had planned on a th350 but overdrive would be nice. I would like to know what i need to do to make it work with a colum shifter. if anyone has any info i would be greatful.
I installed a 700r4 in my 66 ss back in 95. You will need to shorted the drive shaft about 2 5/8" move the cross member back. The easyiest way to move it back is to get longer bolts to mount the cross member just behind the orig. possission. Speedo just makes it. you'll need to get a TV cable mount. You can usually find them in the wrecking yards. Your linkage you may or may not need to alter. Mine is an ss car I needed to make a new one. Other than that its pretty simple. ED

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
You can use the drive shaft from a Vega or a 2nd Gen Camaro if you don't want to shorten the Nova one.
You can use the stock shift linkage to control the 700R4, the PRNDL will line up just fine if you use the right length of lever on the tranny. Keeping the stock setup keeps your neutral safety switch and back-up lights operational.
You can make a simple lock up circuit with about $15 worth of parts from Radio shack and a dual section brake switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts