Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 67 Wagon and replaced all the brakes (stock). My problem is the right rear drum. When I tighten the lug nuts it binds up. When loose it turns without a problem. Also, I had the drums turned and rechecked all to make sure I didn't mix the front with the rears. All the rest are okay, it's just the right rear that's the problem. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so can you give me a direction to go?

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can't say for sure whether I've had this problem before but a couple of things come to mind - about the only things that can cause this is if the drum is bottoming on the backing plate or hitting one of the brake shoes - I would install the brake drum without the wheel and intall the lug nuts with the flat side against the drum and slowly tighten until it starts to bind/rub and determine what is causing the problem - I've seen brake shoes mis matched and may have one wider shoe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed your list of veh's. How do you like your 200r. Mine's a stock 283w/powerglide. I was thinking of upgading to a 200r. What kind of modifications, if any had to be done to match it up?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Love the 200r - only mod was using a different trans crossmember - I tried to modify the stock one to work and wound up using one from Bowtie Overdrive - stock driveshaft works as far as length - and of course setting up the TV cable properly.
You'll probably need to replace flex plate also.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Switch the drums and see what happens. Make sure the e brake cable is not hanging up also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool I'm probably going to get a 200r.

I didn't think of switching the drum and I'll check the E brake,

Thnxs guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts