Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever put a 67 steering column & Box in the 1st Gen's? It looks like it would be feasible. I don't like the Box/Shaft of the 1st gen because of all the dismantling needed to service it.
I have a 67 box and it looks identical, even the numbers embossed on the box, except it has the short stubby splined shaft. I'm either going to try a 67 column with it or I'm cutting the 62 column shaft and try to couple it to the 67 stubby shaft. Anyone done this? any pics or ideas.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I haven't done it but if you did the box and the column together it would almost have to work. Coupling the original column with later box could cause problems with length,There is not a lot of room to work with to incorporate a rag joint or vibration reducer. It's not impossible the original column can be shortened and a support bearing added to the end and double d's ground on the shaft. If you have a column shift its more complicated.Some idea of the work involved is in CPP's installation instructions for their new 400 series power steering box.Sorry it don't know how to post a link to them but they are near the end of the instruction area of their website. I've been considering the PS box and been reading about column alterations.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
WELL IF YA FIND OUT FOR SURE AND I'LL LOOK INTO IT MYSELF, PASS IT ON, AS I WILL! I'M LOOKIN' TO DO THE SAME THING! :yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts