Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a '67 front sub frame that I'm going to strip and use all the suspension parts for my '63. I was told the steering box is in good shape. Mine is worn out big time. I'm thinking about swapping. Anyone done this?

Is there enough room to cut the '63 steering shaft, add the coupler and still retain the column shift? Can I use a stock '67 coupler?

What spline is the '67 steering box? can I just count the splines and take the O.D. of the shaft?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I believe it is 3/4 36 spline for the box, you will need to cut your steering shaft off your current box and grind two flats to accept a double D. Borgeson should have this.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know I've got to cut the shaft, I've just never looked real close at a '67 to see if there are any other differences at the base of the steering column. I'll have to check it out and measure it up. Just wondering if someone on here has crossed this path before.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be awesome. I swapped over all the '67 stuff onto my car over the weekend. It's not aligned yet, but seems to be a big difference. The only thing now is to put a different steering box on, mine is toast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts