Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in line at a show a couple of weeks ago and some guy in a mid 80's four door Buick hit the gas instead of the brake and hit me in the back and drove me into my brothers 67 Chevelle in front of me. Had insurance (Grundy) adjuster come out and look at the car. Anyone who has a 67 SS knows how hard it is to get this moulding and how pricey it is. Well, they are saying you can get a reproduction from Ecklers, part#85-296448-1.
Has anybody ever gotten one of these? Does it fit right???:confused:
Ecklers says it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get. They didn't respond to my question, "How is the fitment"?:(

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The originals don't fit that well. They seem to be close to the trunk lid surface in the middle and far away at the ends.

I didn't know these were available yet...there has been talk for years.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The originals don't fit that well. They seem to be close to the trunk lid surface in the middle and far away at the ends.

I didn't know these were available yet...there has been talk for years.
Mine is just the opposite, close on the ends, far away in the middle. Now it has a lot of dents in it because of the accident.:(
I didn't know about Ecklers either, don't want a piece of junk.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you end up with one give us a run down, I'm sure lots of folks would like to se pictures of it. Sorry to hear about the accident.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If Ecklers sells it there's probably 3 or 4 others that sell the same piece for less.

No idea on the fit and general quality of the repro part. I'm going to guess it won't be nearly as good as original. I would think getting the contour right would be quite difficult.

My original fits quite well.

Originals are VERY pricey, and even then you have to be careful that there aren't corrosion bumps starting to form. If there they will only get worse.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just my two cents. That panel is super rare. In very good, NOS or restored condition, they can go for over $4,000. I wouldn't settle for just a replacement panel. But then it would also depend on the quality of your panel prior to the accident. I would only settle of a good NOS one or a restored used one. I might be able to help you if you want to go in that direction. Again, just my 2 cents.

Bill Akers

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just my two cents. That panel is super rare. In very good, NOS or restored condition, they can go for over $4,000. I wouldn't settle for just a replacement panel. But then it would also depend on the quality of your panel prior to the accident. I would only settle of a good NOS one or a restored used one. I might be able to help you if you want to go in that direction. Again, just my 2 cents.

Bill Akers
It also depends on the condition of the one he had.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I emailed and asked Ekeler who the manufacturer was, they said they do not divulge that info. They appear to be the only ones who have it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think most of the nova suppliers has them now, I think before ya buy, ask supplier if you can return if not happy with fit

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think most of the nova suppliers has them now, I think before ya buy, ask supplier if you can return if not happy with fit
So I know everyone is saying this but when I google it the only one coming up is Ecklers, if your seeing it somewhere else please share. Classic and OER say they are still in production ( 5 years now )

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you order from Ecklers, make very sure they have it in stock. Otherwise they'll take your order, charge your card, and back order it forever.

If it's unavailable from others, they probably don't really have it either.

·
Registered
814 Posts
If you order from Ecklers, make very sure they have it in stock. Otherwise they'll take your order, charge your card, and back order it forever.

If it's unavailable from others, they probably don't really have it either.
They don't have it in stock, they say six to eight weeks, Classic will take your order but not charge your card until they ship the part. If Eckler charges your card upfront it does make you wonder if they even have the part. I have dealt with Ecklers twice, neither item I ordered was as expected.

·
12,927 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the replies. I've been away for the last ten days (Colorado). The guy that is going to repair my car says that he might be able to repair mine and then spray chrome it. Not too sure about that, but I did see some of his work with spray chrome, looks pretty good. One thing that might help me is that a few years back, I bought another panel that someone was selling pretty cheap. They had spray painted the whole thing black. I figured they were hiding something but I purchased it anyway. I stripped off the paint and it was in great shape except for the left edge. It had just a small dent in it and they filled it with body filler. I was thinking of getting George Lucas to look at it. Maybe he can fix the dent.
Does anybody know the proper paint for the black and red?:confused:

Well thanks again and I'll keep you posted,
John

1 - 20 of 42 Posts