Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Car is coming along nicely, very impressed with your metal work. Should really payoff when the time comes for body work. Wish I knew about the trans tunnel when I did mine, I had a local hotrod shop roll and shape one for me but it wasn't cheap, I like the looks of your a little better. Keep the drive, I know its tough with little ones, I have 2 myself and garage time is tough to find.
Thanks, I've definitely improved my sheet metal skills during this build. It's easy to get frustrated, but I have learned, there is nothing you can't do over, if you don't like the results. Trans tunnel and rear DSE tubs need to be welded in, and I can finally start towards body work.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Trans Tunnel continues

Got the hump cut and stitched in. This accomplishes two things for me. It gives some relief in the shifter plate area toward the rear, so the tunnel can sit lower. And It gives some shape around the driver side of the tunnel, for the 4 speed opening in console so the carpet will look nice and flush. Certainly adds rigidity to the tunnel as well down the middle of the floor. I used a 64 Chevelle hump to and cut it down as needed. I think $35 online shipped. The 64 Chevelle hump is smooth on all sides, and has a larger radius to the curve, that better fits the larger tunnel for the T56.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It came out really well. I love the continual posts on the project. Keep it up. I look forward seeing it in person someday. Sooner than later. Lol
These project take forever.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
It came out really well. I love the continual posts on the project. Keep it up. I look forward seeing it in person someday. Sooner than later. Lol
These project take forever.
Thanks, its one of those details that will never be seen when done, but it does help with a few of the items I mentioned. I try to post as I go, sometimes get behind a few weeks. Things should start moving more quickly, once the tunnel and mini tubs are welded in next week. I still need to call you to chat about the painter.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
That turned out great....where did you purchase the hump?

T,
That turned out fantastic!
Thanks Guys. It's a goodmark hump from CarID. Bought it on ebay as CarID prices are usually lower there than their own website. Here's the link.

As you can see, I trimmed the flange a bit to get the contour right for my tunnel, as well as enlarged the opening. But it sure saved a lot of time, from making it from scratch, and looks better too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231827156922

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very nice build. I am just seeing your build for the first time, and I read through the entire thread to get caught up. Thanks for the detailed information and pictures. I'm am doing a very similar build as yours. I look forward to seeing more updates. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Very nice build. I am just seeing your build for the first time, and I read through the entire thread to get caught up. Thanks for the detailed information and pictures. I'm am doing a very similar build as yours. I look forward to seeing more updates. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping to have some updates shortly, as I am waiting on the rotisserie to arrive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey,

Nice build! Quick question. When you filled in the cowl vent area, did you use a rear deck valence for the metal shape? I noticed the piece you welded in was coated.

Todd

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Hey,

Nice build! Quick question. When you filled in the cowl vent area, did you use a rear deck valence for the metal shape? I noticed the piece you welded in was coated.

Todd
Sure did, the part is like $35 bucks. I needed a small piece of it on my rear sail panel area anyway. So I used the rest for the patch. Saves a little bit of time. But making it from 18 gauge stock would be easy too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Car is up on the rotisserie- Tunnel complete

Got the car stripped back down a few weeks ago and ready to go onto the rotisserie. I specifically saved the final welding of the trans tunnel, mini tubs and torque arm structural for this point. Certainly a lot easier to get all of that done with the car on its side. Raptor Liner will be going on the bottom and wheel wells, and Lizard Skin ceramic and sound on the inside of all the sheet metal. I might have to call this car Jurassic! SMH

Trans tunnel complete, finally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Super nice job, at first the trans tunnel didnt look so big on the inside but when you flip it over you can appreciate how big that trans is. I like how you filled the cowl vents, sure looks cleaner. Nice job with the hump in the tunnel to keep the shifter in the stock console too. I wish I had the skills to weld and do metal fabrication like this. Sure would come in handy working with these old rusty muscle cars. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Mike

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Super nice job, at first the trans tunnel didnt look so big on the inside but when you flip it over you can appreciate how big that trans is. I like how you filled the cowl vents, sure looks cleaner. Nice job with the hump in the tunnel to keep the shifter in the stock console too. I wish I had the skills to weld and do metal fabrication like this. Sure would come in handy working with these old rusty muscle cars. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thanks for the encouragement! Lots to come on this build.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Engine build under way

Picked up my new LSA recently. ZL1 Lid, Concept One 8 rib pulley system, Lingenfelter ported blower and snout. Lingenfelter 10 bolt S/C pulley hub, 2.38" upper pulley. Ported LSA throttle body. Hopefully will have time to install the BTR stage 3 Cam and spring kit this week. Set up for a safe 11-12 PSI. This combo should net 675-700 at the crank. Should be a beast with the 6 speed behind it.

I hoping to get going on body and paint this spring to begin assembly this summer and next fall.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts