Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I'm just getting underway on my 67 SS Build. This is my 5th nova, and my 1st second gen build. (4 first gens). This car has been sitting for over 25 years, in a garage in Northern California. After tearing it down, I discovered it had a front clip replaced many many years ago.(probably from the original owner wadding the front suspension. I'm guessing this is why it was parked so long ago. It was last registered in 1973. There is very little rust, and it came complete, minus, the drivetrain. In the end it was a great opportunity to get an SS car cheap. Since I was planning on an LS conversion from the beginning, I wouldn't have had the heart to tear apart a numbers car. The goal for this car is a pro touring car that can be daily driven. So far, I have acquired, TCI PT front end with 13"/6 piston Wilwoods, TCI torque arm rear 12"/4 piston Wilwoods. Currie 9" with 3.89 tru trac setup with 31 spline axles. The drive train will hopefully be an LSA, or maybe even the new LT4. I'm just waiting to see how the aftermarket comes along on the new LT motors. Planning on a super magnum T56 behind it. Overall theme for the car will be fairly stock appearance in and out, but with all the technical and mechanical upgrades. My taste is pretty subtle, so it will likely be a played down appearance overall, except for maybe the stance and 18 or 19" wheel package. I don't plan on finishing this car for atleast another 2 years, (who knows right?) I have two little ones at home that keep me pretty busy as well. But I would rather wait to be able to buy the parts I want, than rush the build.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
You find that n CL? I think I remember seeing it for sale cheap well relatively cheap.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You west coast guys don't know how good you have it. It's impossible to find a 66-67 that clean in Pennsylvania. :eek:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You find that n CL? I think I remember seeing it for sale cheap well relatively cheap.

Yeah, CL if I remember correctly, I bought it about 2 years ago, maybe a little less. No way you could forget the way it looked before!! haha. I paid about 10k , but it included 6 fenders, 2 rear ends, tons and tons of doubles and triples of parts. I've probably sold close to 3k of extras so far. So I think I did decent after offing the extras. I just needed a relatively straight body with all the trim and seats etc, since everything else will be new.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
into epoxy, and with front and rear suspension mocked up. Everything is square to a 1/16th. so whatever this guy did to the front end in the 70's didn't hurt anything. Going to start on the sheet metal work this month. Have a few small patches and DSE tubs going in. then maybe get to paint before the end of the year. Here's the best part. Look at that trunk panel. that's what only 6,300 original miles looks like!

My youngest daughter doing the ball joints. Double adjustables in the front with 13"/6 piston set up.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Gonna be badazz when your done!!what exterior/interior colors you going with?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonna be badazz when your done!!what exterior/interior colors you going with?
I'm still pulling my hair out, about the exterior color, I can't decide. I have a few blues that I like as well as grays and silvers. I pretty much set on black for interior. What do you think about this color? Jetstream Blue, vette color? May just use this car as my overall inspiration. I know color is the most subjective decision.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I'm still pulling my hair out, about the exterior color, I can't decide. I have a few blues that I like as well as grays and silvers. I pretty much set on black for interior. What do you think about this color? Jetstream Blue, vette color? May just use this car as my overall inspiration. I know color is the most subjective decision.
I like it..you stand out for sure....here's a famous nova...been in all the magazines...similar color
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-N...17648bc8:g:JzMAAOSwepJXbEXW&item=112061615048

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, had to make sure I could lock every drawer/cabinet. 10% worry about theft and 90% worry about my two young daughters destroying my neatly organized tools. And them getting hurt of course!
I as well have two daughters, the one day I was trying to enjoy myself in the garage and the kids where playing and I probably wasn't watching close enough and my youngest was on the stool with wheels and my oldest was ramming her accross the shop floor with a floor jack :eek: oooops lol

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
That's John Parson's car, he is a member here---"parsonsj" is his user name....

I am thinking about Dupont medium blue myself...

T,

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
DSE Mini Tub installation

Well,

I have been making a little progress lately. I get about 4 to 8 hours on the car per week, but always so broken up, it's hard to get big sections of work done. Im sure just like everyone. I've gotten about a third of the way into the DSE installation. Quite a bit of massaging to make the tubs fit right, but just been taking my time.

After rough cutting the opening, just came back and inched along until I was happy with it. Next will be to close out the frame rail. DSE recommends adding some additional material to strengthen in that area. So I have to 1/8 in plate that I will install on the inside of the rail before closing it out. Then I can get to plug welding the tub in. After that its the seat back, seat frame and trunk supports that get done.....then get to do it all again on the driver side!

I have some 2010 camaro wheels for roller laying around, and they actually fit in there with 6" of backspacing on a 28.1" tire. Obviously couldn't run that, but good to know a 5.5" BS 26.5" tire will have plenty of room on all sides as DSE states.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts