Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, last October or November I posted about a car I was considering buying. After much advice from everyone, and weighing my options, I bought the little gem anyway.

So, quickly, here are some before pics.

Complete, but very rusty, and very porous, we'll call it. What do I expect from a Wisconsin car?

The plan is to make a solid semi-daily driver. Just a fun little car, kind of deal. More than likely be powered by a hopped up six cylinder for now. Nothing radical. Just..different, then what most people see and do currently. It won't be perfect, but I wouldn't want it to be. I'm 21, and in college. I'm doing the best I can, with what I have, so consider this a disclaimer of sorts, haha.

So, stripping down began.

Pulled the front clip, engine and tranny, rear end...

It's basically just a hanging shell right now.

Sand blasted the front clip, and began cutting out the rust of the inner fenders, and fabricating patches for them.

Made new bumper brackets..

So yeah, thats where she stands at the moment.

Hopefully can get burning more patches in, and get rid of some more rust in the days to come.

And waiting to see if FedEx will come through and find the springs that I bought. It's been over a month since they were sent out from New York, and somewhere between here and Grove City, Ohio, there are a pair of monoleafs that they "lost". I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst...

But yeah, I'll try to keep this updated as much as possible.

-Sam.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you recycling John Deere panels to patch up your Nova? :eek: That green color looks familiar. Good Luck with the springs and keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good luck with this one. It is going to be a huge project but it CAN be done. Looks like you might as well look for new fenders, new doors, trunk floor and probably full interior floors from the looks of the rest of the car. People on here have a lot of parts that you might be better off in the end just buying rather than spending the time and money fixing what you have such as the brackets and so forth. Unless you just dont mind spending much more time making patches, it's up to you. I started buying cars and doing patches and didn't mind. After the 20th car or so I gave up and just spent the extra money buying non rusted parts to save me a the hassel. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I thought you yhad given up because you hadnt posted in awhile. At least you had the bravery to tackle that car - anything after it should be childs play. Youve got more progress on your rust bucket than most people have done in 2 years(or more) on there "solid" cars. Good job
Give dale @ novasrus.com a buzz alot of those annoying brackets and patches can be had very affordably.
-dd

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words guys. Winter was rough, as I didn't get hardly anything done on it due to being in a unheated shop. So I'm hoping to get back at it pretty good now, especially with the semester coming to a close in a few weeks.

I actually used the hood from a '69 GMC that met a tree, and just never got the paint stripped off before I took the pic, haha. And it's actually Oliver Green, not JD. Since thats the color I painted my truck. Don't worry guys, I bleed IH Red. :D

Unfortunately, though, at the moment I have much more time than money, so I'm trying to do all of the little free stuff, until I get cash saved up for pic patch panels and the like.

And this is my second classic vehicle out of Wisconsin. My first is my '69 GMC, and I've been driving that for almost 2 years now. It too started life as a rust bucket, and most people would've just sent it off to scrap, or let it continue to rust. Now it can just rust a little slower while going down the road. :)

Not to cross post, but I'm fairly proud of the ol' girl. Here's a before and after.

and after about 9 months of work, an incident with a tree, another month of work, and roughly a grand including the price of the truck ($100) and liscense and registration.

It's not totally correct, but I did it all myself, painted it with implement paint, and am running a stock 307 with headers. It gets looks whenever I drive it, and I abuse the snot out of the ol girl, from hauling cement blocks, fire woord, hay, to checking fences to find where the cows got out. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's any less of a truck.

Hopefully I'll have some more progress for your guys this coming week. I'll definitely post up pics if I do.

Thanks again!

-Sam.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks great! Those old 60's pickups are great arent they? I have a 66F100 myself (yes I know it's a Ford) but I beat the snot out of it and they keep going and last forever. Easy to work on too. I sit in the engine compartment on the inner fender and work on mine. :D Mine is nothing nice to look at either, all the money is in the motor, tranny and rear end but I still get heaps of attention from it everywhere I go. I can't wait until the 63 wagon is done because I know it will get even more!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya about those trucks, man! The only thing mechanical I've done to it, is a new timing gear and chain, and a new synchro and bearing in the 3-speed. Otherwise, I've just been driving it, and pounding on it, haha. Almost to 100,000 original miles - I'm pretty happy it's lasted that long.

Around here, most people just look at the truck as another old truck. So, with the Chevy II, I'm thinking it'll have a little more "pop", if you will. It'll grab some looks. Hell, my truck already gets more attention than my buddies '05 Mustang. Can't wait to see what happens with the car, haha.

No progress yet - I have to put the rear end and tranny back together in one of our Farmall H's today and the next followinh days. Hopefully I can get some done on the car though, but it not, you all know why.

I'll keep you posted.

-Sam.

·
Registered
520 Posts
sedan

It looks about the same as my sedan did when i started. IMO, i'd find a new front subframe for the car. They can be had for pretty cheap....sometimes even with new suspension parts when people change to the aftermarket clips. If you do replace quarter or floorpans, brace everything before you start cutting it out. Saves you the hassle in the end. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
i've got a front clip you can have for free, has new wheel cylinders and brake pads (less than 50 miles on em) it was set up for a big block but I am sure you could use your 6 cylinder in it - I am in des moines (about 5 hours away)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. Winter was rough, as I didn't get hardly anything done on it due to being in a unheated shop.

One of these are cheap and they run of kerosene they keep my butt cold, the jet engine looking ones will make you swet on cold days. They pop on craigslist during spring/summer real cheap too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BadNova - Thank you for the offer! PM sent.

DesertDeuce - I had a little propane torpedo heater, but eventually ran out of LP in the little tank. Next winter will be a different story, since we're putting an addition onto the garage, boxing it in, insulating it, and putting a wood furnace in it with a blower. So, next winter everything should be nice and warm.

Not much of any updates to post, since BadNova just saved me hours of futile work, haha.

So, we'll see what I can conjour up next, as soon as the tractor gets put back together, and we get some seed in the ground for the year.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

-Sam.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy Cats! I've been on a bit of a hiatus from the site, to say the least.

But! I haven't given up on this little rust bucket.

So, here's some pics if anyone is still interested in this shoebox.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So that's where she sits, so many years later.

Here's a quick rundown:

1967 Chevy II 2-door sedan.

283 - 30 over
Flat tops
Camel humps (1.94 intake)
Weiand intake
Holley 650
Lunati solid lifter cam ~.505 lift
Fenderwell headers

3-speed Saginaw
Custom straight throw shifter (video/pics to come)

Truck trailing arm conversion.
Shorted HO52/HO72 rear end - 4.56 gears.

"3/4-length frame": Frame rails bolt to the front stub, and run back to the tail pan.

Full tubs.

Shoddy patch panel work.
Shoddier body filler work.

Red oxide primer (for now).

It'll be more than a little rough around the edges.

And I'm pretty ok with that.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in over the years! I couldn't do it without this resource and you folks.

-Sam.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
WOW nice work there :yes: I think you had the right idea with the rest bucket. You are bringing it back to life and that's what matters

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dave!

I figure no matter how ugly she turns out to be, it's better than it just rotting away.

Also, as promised, a video of the shifter I designed and scraped together out of an old VanBrunt grain drill adjuster, and some scrap metal. (Detecting a trend here...?:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it's been 5 years wayyyy too long.

I never quit working on it, just did what I could with limited time and money; but you all know how THAT goes.

Just a bit more of an update:

I shot it with paint just so it was sealed up for the winter.

All told, it doesn't look too dang bad - all things considered.

And, finally, that little 283 runs!

The cam break-in went well, all things considered. Changed the oil after the 30 min period, and now she'll fire right off and sound nasty as hell.

It "idles" at around 1200 - my dad and I ran into an issue with timing because his Snap-On timing light wouldn't register it at idle, since it's so choppy.

Needless to say, I love it.

I'll try to get a video on it running before she gets put away for the winter - I plan on taking advantage of the 6 months of frigid weather to tie up loose ends and do everything "right" - I haphazardly put a few things together in my rush to get the motor in and running, and I'm just no happy with it.

So, that's where she sits for the time being!

-Sam.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts