Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Any way to identify an original AC unit? Were they the same for different years? According to Nova resource it looks like AC could be ordered from 62-67. Missing everything else it sounds like but I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Sellers reply when I asked the price: $950 dollars it’s completely ready to go in car and not junk. The only reason I’m not using it is cause I’m going with new style vintage air.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was curious about mounting. I see it has several bolts to mount under the dash and wondering if the bolt pattern was the same for all years or whether it was year specific.

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
Yeah, the knobs are '65-66. The balls are '66-67 (possibly 2nd version '65). Without seeing a clear shot of the back where it mounts, cannot 100% determine it is Nova, though it does look Nova. Other cars used these knobs. The fronts look the same, the mounting to the heater box is what varied between cars. Different rear case.

The mounting might have varied between the years, but I think it would be relatively similar. Normally you have to drill a bunch of holes to install. The instructions that cam with these covered where to drill.

·
13,824 Posts
I believe this is a 1966 Custom Air Conditioning dealer installed unit that had the fan adjustment switch on the front of the evaporator. The factory installed units were called All Weather Air Conditioners and had the fan switch vertically mounted on the left side of the panel on the dash. The picture below is on a '67, but 1966 was the same.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. My recent purchase supposedly came with factory air but it is no longer there nor does it come with the car. Looking at options if I want to put air in it. Seems like I could get an "old air" complete unit for what he is asking for just a part of the system.

·
13,824 Posts
Thanks for the info. My recent purchase supposedly came with factory air but it is no longer there nor does it come with the car. Looking at options if I want to put air in it. Seems like I could get an "old air" complete unit for what he is asking for just a part of the system.
Yes, a lot more pieces to find if you buy this evaporator and don't have anything else. Compressor, dryer, muffler, condenser, hoses, hook clamps, etc. I never did find an original condenser for my '63. Because they sit in front of the rad, most of them are pretty well trashed. Repops are available, but not the same.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts