Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Mine is getting all DSE as well have been real happy with there quality on everything and I'm sure the handling will be top notch for as old a car as it is. I had 3 options when ordering the quad, wasn't sure what size so left it out lol something I still need to buy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I had some sway bar options on the Quadralink for my Camaro as well but only the one for the 62-67 Chevy II’s. I wouldn’t sweat it too much, I remember at the time I ordered the one for my Camaro, DSE told me they actually don’t even run the biggest sway bar on their cars. That’s always subject to change, of course.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to SNOLAN, I scored some great doors this weekend. Worked out great logistically and always good to meet the people behind the messages on the forum, thanks Again Steve! These will be a huge check off the to-get list...
Hey Steve I was wondering are these NOS doors or aftermarket ? I am having a heck of a time finding descent door skins any recommendations for skins ?

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Made some headway on the Quadralink install this week. My oldest has really taken an interest in this build which has been great. Still some welding to finish up and need to get the lower link brackets installed but the hard part’s over. One thing I could kick myself for was not playing it safer on the crossmember cut. DSE’s directions have you lay out two lines aft of the trunk pan/floor pan seam...one at 9.25” and one at 10.25”...for anyone doing this install, cut along the 9.25” line (if not less) instead of the other one like the directions say. My cut was between the two at 9.75” and I’m gonna have to patch in some 1/2” filler strips on the corners to fill the gaps. Frustrating, but that what happens when you get greedy on your cuts! My plan is to remove the factory tie-down brackets from the rear frame rails but my drill with spot weld cutter is too long to fit in the space on the outside between the frame rails and rockers. Gotta get me a short spot weld cutter, I guess.

Next up after this will be tidying up the firewall some more. Thanks for looking!
AF590A9B-755B-4086-8023-A05364FA2B45.jpeg
A0B05F6A-5A6B-4466-A89A-DF1DA2B6F475.jpeg
2A6F5AFD-2D30-4B3B-B97F-BD18AB40381A.jpeg

·
Registered
484 Posts
awesome work!

I made my own 4 link setup, but i did use the cross member cut out from dse (and the subframe connectors and torque boxes)... i mentioned in my thread, something similar to what you said... the instructions seemed off... though it made sense to me what they were saying... the cuts down the sides are actually at an angle... but i took my own measurements... marking one line on the top section... one line on the lower section and then lines down the side, connecting the top line to the bottom line (at the angle it would create, along the sides... if you watch the video they dont seem to do this (follow that portion of the instructions), so thats even more confusing...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Very cool to see a kid who wants to learn to work with his hands, it seems pretty rare today. And good idea having jackstands while under the car on rotisserie.

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
awesome work!

I made my own 4 link setup, but i did use the cross member cut out from dse (and the subframe connectors and torque boxes)... i mentioned in my thread, something similar to what you said... the instructions seemed off... though it made sense to me what they were saying... the cuts down the sides are actually at an angle... but i took my own measurements... marking one line on the top section... one line on the lower section and then lines down the side, connecting the top line to the bottom line (at the angle it would create, along the sides... if you watch the video they dont seem to do this (follow that portion of the instructions), so thats even more confusing...
Yeah, believe it or not, I watched the video about 20 times and read thru all the directions before I even got the kit and it seemed very concise and simple but I think what got me that I didn’t realize going into it was that the support bar that’s attached to the bottom of the crossmember has to be a specific distance aft of the axle centerline...so the cut marks they have you lay out may not be relevant (or at least not as accurate) as they sound in the directions given that at the end of the day the only measurement that really counts is that the Front of the support beam is 6 7/8” aft of the axle centerline.

My other dilemma was that since the car had no proper suspension under it since I’ve had it, I had no way to determine where the axle centerline should be. Before starting, I took careful measurements of where the centerline SHOULD be in relation to the wheel opening then transferred marks to the floor and underbody with a plumb bob. To check myself, I took one of the roller wheels/tire and jacked it up into the wheel well and centered it and made sure it looked right. Luckily, my measurements were spot on. Finally, after clamping everything in place and prior to welding, I made sure my distances according to the DSE instructions were correct to both upper link mounts and the track bar bracket based on the axle
/floor pan centerline, which thank God, they were!

So the next hurdle was that since the replacement floor pan does NOT come with the outer frame support braces that the front leaf spring perch brackets attach to (or the spring perch’s themselves), and since I need to mock the rear end up in the car anyway, I’ll use the rear end and lower links to help me determine the correct position of the lower link brackets. The instructions have you use the spring perch and shims to locate the link mount point but I’ll improvise. I’ve got the outer frame braces ordered so I can put them in for additional support but this will keep the momentum going for now.

Sorry for the book here but thought some of this info might be a benefit to the next guy installing rear suspension with a similar situation. Also, here’s proof that you can fit a couple of bodies (or at least 1 1/2) in the trunk of a 67 Nova!
3015A4C5-1A6E-4A1C-9091-F6725546BC19.jpeg

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Very cool to see a kid who wants to learn to work with his hands, it seems pretty rare today. And good idea having jackstands while under the car on rotisserie.
Yeah, I wanted to provide as much support as possible since I knew we’d be climbing all over it and cutting things off!
Indeed, he’s really taken an interest. My boys are 13 & 14 (11 months apart) and neither of them cared too much when I built my Camaro but my oldest has been going to cruise-ins with me and really wanting to learn about cars lately, especially since he’ll be getting his license relatively soon:oops: He’s been stressing about “not having a cool car” LOL...oh to have the worries of a teenager again!

So if anyone has a decent third gen Camaro (prefer mostly stock) then let me know!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Please keep updating any hurdles with this so I can be as informed as possible going in lol this is the same kit I have (for a 3rd gen) along with there HD leaf spring pockets. Sounds like it'll be even more fun than anticipated lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Love the progress sure looks good what color are you thinking ?
Thanks! We’ve been kicking around a few but lately black seems to be my choice. I was originally wanting that but was afraid the body wouldn’t be conducive to it but seeing how things are coming together so far I don’t think it’d be an issue. I’ve always loved silver as well so that’s been a strong contender. The car was originally Ermine a White so part of has thought about that as a way to maintain a touch of what it was originally.
I’d honestly really like to have a black vinyl top on it (unless we do white) but finding the quarter panel trim pieces is obviously challenging. We’ll have to see, I change my mind like the wind on color and wheels so luckily I’ve got a ways to go!

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Scored a good set of weatherstrip channel and it arrived today. It needs a good cleaning and polishing but no dents or bends in any critical areas. This has no doubt been the hardest part of the trim to come up with, especially getting a complete set.
129FAE35-ED6D-4FD0-B82E-206806702713.jpeg

121 - 134 of 134 Posts