Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Looking great man! Jealous of the progress you've made haha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I personally really like the 2" cowls on those years I think it really fits into the rest of the car. But of course the stock hood also looks good and is real clean

Thank you! It seems a little slow going sometimes but I’m anxious to get it back so I can get to the next phase. I too like the 2” cowl hoods and that was originally my plan but been eyeballing the flat hoods lately as well...we’ll see what happens!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I’ve been eagerly waiting to see these new A-pillar panels in place. The old ones were pretty rough and had been the victim of some hacking. With so many of these panels available, it just makes sense on this car to replace them now. Here’s the passenger side for anyone wanting to see what the fit looks like...the original dash panel was removed for easier access and will be reinstalled once the backside has been bead blasted and put in epoxy. Aside from the inner roof structure, the dash is the only remaining original metal on the car.
C6FE101A-3E52-4DDE-BEF0-403B69119D44.jpeg
E8DC874B-5783-4E32-8C50-6AF041B0A084.jpeg
F49C1159-4AF3-4B8E-9018-8BF7935FDD1E.jpeg
B37A34A6-23A8-4A6A-A8C5-9D3ACCBF9E85.jpeg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
What media blaster do you have? I have a good small parts one but I've been in the market for one that can handle larger jobs like that, can spend up to about 1300 and still have like 2.8 out of 5 star ratings it seems. Scary

Yeah, seems like higher price doesn’t always equal higher quality nowadays. I actually just took it over to a local place and had them give it a once over. It was too big for my blast cabinet as well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, seems like higher price doesn’t always equal higher quality nowadays. I actually just took it over to a local place and had them give it a once over. It was too big for my blast cabinet as well.
O ok. I'm sure that's what I will end up doing as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First order of business is to make this thing a complete, solid body once again. Since I didn't have another car to take measurements from, I opted to go for the full floor/trunk pan assembly. It's a nice piece and already has the rear frame rails and bracing in place. I also ordered up some complete rocker panels. Pretty much everything on this car is gonna have to replaced!🎻
Hey G machine were did you get the floor pan? how does it fit up? did it come with that tubular structure? I was wondering how they shipped them with out folding or damage

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Hey G machine were did you get the floor pan? how does it fit up? did it come with that tubular structure? I was wondering how they shipped them with out folding or damage
I ordered it from Classic Industries. They usually have some sort of sale going on and I was able to get it at a discount that basically covered the freight. I’m sure it’s made by Dynacorn or Real Deal Steel but it didn’t have any tell-tale mfg markings. It came bolted to the steel frame in the pictures and covered with a cardboard top. I’ve been very happy with the fitment all around and would recommend it to anyone needing to buy the complete pan as it saved me a ton of work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Made a great score on a trunk lid molding. It’s an original, not NOS, piece and while it’s not perfect, the chrome’s in phenomenal condition and was priced the same as some pieces I’ve seen that were total garbage. I cleaned it up and just need to repaint the black areas.
1ACE62D9-BF11-4E82-A27D-B7DC243C9735.jpeg
E684E902-2396-43DB-8BAF-72AE499495EE.jpeg
F51CF93C-643B-45D0-8572-50100C2C991F.jpeg
7775A980-941E-4CDD-9E36-C79C2730C6BA.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered it from Classic Industries. They usually have some sort of sale going on and I was able to get it at a discount that basically covered the freight. I’m sure it’s made by Dynacorn or Real Deal Steel but it didn’t have any tell-tale mfg markings. It came bolted to the steel frame in the pictures and covered with a cardboard top. I’ve been very happy with the fitment all around and would recommend it to anyone needing to buy the complete pan as it saved me a ton of work.
Did you happen to put a roof on this car and if so did you use a re pop or og?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Did you happen to put a roof on this car and if so did you use a re pop or og?
Yeah, the car’s getting a new repro roof panel as well. As of Monday morning, the roof was the next thing getting installed (prior to all the lockdown that’s now taken place). They cut the front corners off the old roof in order to get the new A-pillar panels tied in to the roof structure and they were double checking the measurements before doing the final welding on the driver side A-pillar panel. After that, it’s time for the roof panel (new rain gutters are already installed) and then attaching the top cowl panel and reinstalling the dash...from there, it’ll be ready to come home.

As far as the roof panel fitment, it’s hard to tell for sure since I’ve only seen it laying on top of the old roof but I’m hopeful that it’ll fit fine. The roof lines and bends seem to be crisp in the right places and the shop’s been very diligent about bracing everything up and using trim pieces, tail lights, etc. during the final panel fitment to ensure all the gaps and moldings fit properly.

Since this whole car has had to be rebuilt using reproduction panels, I figured I’d be money ahead to have a professional shop do all the final fitment and ensure the seams and gaps were very close. I’m in hopes that it’ll payoff when it comes time to prep for paint. They’ve said that it’s actually been easier then what they expected and I personally couldn’t be happier with the results so not sure if I just got lucky with the panels or if that means the quality of these panels are getting better. I know I’m anxious to see it asa complete body!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, the car’s getting a new repro roof panel as well. As of Monday morning, the roof was the next thing getting installed (prior to all the lockdown that’s now taken place). They cut the front corners off the old roof in order to get the new A-pillar panels tied in to the roof structure and they were double checking the measurements before doing the final welding on the driver side A-pillar panel. After that, it’s time for the roof panel (new rain gutters are already installed) and then attaching the top cowl panel and reinstalling the dash...from there, it’ll be ready to come home.

As far as the roof panel fitment, it’s hard to tell for sure since I’ve only seen it laying on top of the old roof but I’m hopeful that it’ll fit fine. The roof lines and bends seem to be crisp in the right places and the shop’s been very diligent about bracing everything up and using trim pieces, tail lights, etc. during the final panel fitment to ensure all the gaps and moldings fit properly.

Since this whole car has had to be rebuilt using reproduction panels, I figured I’d be money ahead to have a professional shop do all the final fitment and ensure the seams and gaps were very close. I’m in hopes that it’ll payoff when it comes time to prep for paint. They’ve said that it’s actually been easier then what they expected and I personally couldn’t be happier with the results so not sure if I just got lucky with the panels or if that means the quality of these panels are getting better. I know I’m anxious to see it asa complete body!
Let me know how it goes i heard stories about repo roofs being short. I just put a roof on a 69 Chevelle but i cut it off another Chevelle. One tip i used 3M panel adhesive along the drip rails to keep heat out of that area and also acts like a sealer. I also used around the wheel well lips on the new quarters for the same reason that stuff is amazing.. Keep posting, really good info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Will do, that’s good to know. I’ve actually been doing some homework on different seam sealers. I’ve seen some build threads where a sealer was used that looked like icing for lack of a better term. It may have had more to do with how it was applied but it really seemed to cover the seams and had a high build. I was wanting something like that for around the cowl areas and inside the car where the floor pan will be sealed in the unseen areas. I used 3M’s 2-part sealers on my Camaro build and was happy with it but always looking for new things, especially when it adds longevity to the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
So have a question about the hood latch fitment on the 67...the car didn’t have any front end when I got it so I’ve been gathering bits and pieces along the way. One of the components I had a hard time finding was the hood latch. Since the 67’s are not reproduced, I was able to score one online and purchased a repop latch support to go with it. The fit never seemed right as the support wanted to push the latch at an upward angle drastically. At first I thought that perhaps the support (although advertised as being for a 67) was for a 66 or something so I kept searching for an original hood latch support. I came across a great deal on EBay and bought a second 67 hood latch that came with the striker and support which arrived today. The original support has the same dimensions as the repop I bought and although at first it didn’t seem to fit any better, after I messed with it for a few minutes it seems to fit well but the question I have is regarding the rather large gap between where the hood latch support bolts to the front valence panel. I’ve got a sizable gap between the two and didn’t know if I was missing another piece or spacer?
The front end is not on the car and is roughly lined up with the valence not bolted down tight, however, doesn’t seem to have enough room to maneuver to make the two bolt up. Here’s some pictures from various angles and I laid an original grill in there for reference as well. Thanks!
80503534-F001-46A4-A94A-06DE54905122.jpeg
DF5EE049-B46A-4E85-99B1-8CA81B079A2C.jpeg
B3ED9B14-0345-417C-90EB-FB5B4F26B256.jpeg
6604A787-8F7B-4356-899B-2D4D94977406.jpeg
171A339F-0DDF-4377-AD7C-C455D0E5BDBE.jpeg
1B653FE1-7CF5-4972-AED5-CD9424D2FFAD.jpeg
98035F29-B557-42AA-B652-DB840EEB2387.jpeg

81 - 97 of 97 Posts