Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You told me you were building a nova and I meant to ask but didn’t happen, I’ll be fallowing this! Good to see you in here, Knowing your camaro I’m sure this will be awesome. Chad.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow, very impressive, I am along for ride also, were ya at in Indiana? can you tell use more about your frame Jig, how did you level floor pan frame rails? we all know how much work that is, you make it look so easy, thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Is that a DSE front? Looks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes sir! It’s a shame that 90% of it will be outta sight once the inner fenders and engine are in place but it’s worth every penny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wow, very impressive, I am along for ride also, were ya at in Indiana? can you tell use more about your frame Jig, how did you level floor pan frame rails? we all know how much work that is, you make it look so easy, thanks

Thank you, droptop63, I’m in Southern IN (Evansville area). The frame it’s sitting on is actually the frame that they shipped the one-piece floor to me on. I don’t have an official frame table so tried to use what I had available...So I put the entire frame up on jack stands initially then I used two sections of square tubing, one inner and one outer, on each of the four corners...at that point, with the outer section able to slide up and down, I was able to level the floor up both side-to-side and front-to-rear...once I had it level, I welded the inner tube to the outer tube to maintain the position. Once I got the full rockers welded in place and the body welded down to the floor pan, I took it down off the jack stands. I’m at the point where I’m almost ready to cut it loose from the frame but wanna finish up a few more items first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
How the body coming show pictures ...

:yes:

Hey Steve, the body’s coming along, I haven’t had an over-abundance of time but I plan on making strides next week during my time off. I’ll post up some updated pics. Some of the pieces I have yet to install are the new outer wheel houses, DSE mini tubs, DSE subframe connectors and new rear package tray assembly to name a few...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes sir! It’s a shame that 90% of it will be outta sight once the inner fenders and engine are in place but it’s worth every penny!

BEAUTIFUL! I've been eyeballing that front clip for a while now! Very nice

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You told me you were building a nova and I meant to ask but didn’t happen, I’ll be fallowing this! Good to see you in here, Knowing your camaro I’m sure this will be awesome. Chad.

Thanks, Highroller54, I appreciate the kind words!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
BEAUTIFUL! I've been eyeballing that front clip for a while now! Very nice

Thank you! I have DSE’s hydroformed subframe on my 68 Camaro as well as their Quadralink so I was pretty sure I wanted it for this car too. I gave a serious look at CBR’s subframe as well but with all the options, the price was too close for me to not go with DSE. Not to take anything away from CBR but I’ve just had too much experience with DSE building and autocrossing the Camaro. It’s truly amazing the way these cars can handle when they’re setup properly and the ride quality is still amazing. It’s a difference you can’t truly appreciate until you’ve been behind the wheel and felt it in your own hands!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thank you! I have DSE’s hydroformed subframe on my 68 Camaro as well as their Quadralink so I was pretty sure I wanted it for this car too. I gave a serious look at CBR’s subframe as well but with all the options, the price was too close for me to not go with DSE. Not to take anything away from CBR but I’ve just had too much experience with DSE building and autocrossing the Camaro. It’s truly amazing the way these cars can handle when they’re setup properly and the ride quality is still amazing. It’s a difference you can’t truly appreciate until you’ve been behind the wheel and felt it in your own hands!

I am still debating between two rear suspensions and the quad is one of them, but honestly a bit scared doing a 4 link myself lol a lot to get dialed in! But theres sounds perfect and they claim it will work with my DSE mini tubs and also keep my back seat still, which is almost unheard of and keeping my back seat is a must.
Anyway, camaro sounds like a gold one i follow on insta, this nova is going to be seriously cool I can tell now haha thanks for the info

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Made a little progress this weekend and got a head start on the rear part of the car. Got the old package tray out, new one cut to pieces for the DSE mini tubs and mocked up in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Next I got the passenger side floor pan cut out and frame rail narrowed. Got the mini tubs and new outer wheel house fitted up and mocked up the rear quarter and filler panel to be sure things were on track.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Here’s a little shot from down unda...Gotta pull it apart and punch the holes for spot welding everything but I’m thinking I’ll go ahead and do the other side and mock up everything first just to be sure I like the fitment of the sheet metal. Btw, Cleco pins are the best invention ever!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
67 nova

Shane, you may know this but i install the trim studs on the quarter before you weld them in place i screw them in then hit the backside with the mig that way your not drilling the screw / studs during the assembly-paint process + its a better way unless you have a stud tool i could never get my tip in their.

Looking good

Steve

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Shane, you may know this but i install the trim studs on the quarter before you weld them in place i screw them in then hit the backside with the mig that way your not drilling the screw / studs during the assembly-paint process + its a better way unless you have a stud tool i could never get my tip in their.

Looking good

Steve
Steve, I actually hadn’t thought about that but I appreciate you bringing it up, that’s a great idea! I stuck a piece of yellow tape to the window channel on both sides to remind me before I weld the panels on. I find that if I don’t write vital things down and stick it to the car somewhere that it gets easily overlooked...there’s a name for that but I can’t remember what it is!:turn:

awesome progress...
Thank you, sir!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So I got started removing the old firewall as well as the top and side cowl panels this morning...

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
By mid afternoon, it looks like this. It’s just mocked up at this point. Gonna re-check to make sure it’s still square, tweak some areas for better fitment and finish up a few stray items in the back but overall, I’m really happy with how everything is lining up so far.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 97 Posts