Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to start a build thread on my 67 Nova. I had a 66 for my first car and traded it for a 68 Camaro. I still have the Camaro but I've wanted another 66-67 Chevy II for a while. I found this beauty and the plan is to build it up right with upgraded suspension, steering , brakes, etc. and make a nice driver. Here's what it looks like now. It came with new rear quarters, tail panel, inner outer side cowl panels, firewall and upper/lower cowl panels and some original doors and deck lid. The crappy frame and Dana 60 rear will be sold off and some Detroit Speed hardware will be taking its place.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First order of business is to make this thing a complete, solid body once again. Since I didn't have another car to take measurements from, I opted to go for the full floor/trunk pan assembly. It's a nice piece and already has the rear frame rails and bracing in place. I also ordered up some complete rocker panels. Pretty much everything on this car is gonna have to replaced!:violin:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I got the floor pan raised and leveled up so I could begin swapping some sheet metal. Got the new rocker panels installed and the DSE mini tubs and subframe connectors showed up. My plan is to brace the body up, cut the old rockers off and set the body down on the new floor. From there I can get everything squared up, tacked together and then get the firewall mocked up and start replacing the side cowl panels, top cowl panels, etc.

Here, I've just got the mini tubs laying in place to get an idea. Just have the firewall clamped up to check fitment.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do know they have brand new 66/67 bodies available now..?:yes:
Yeah, that'd be great for sure but I can rehab this one and have less then half the cost of a new body invested since I'm doing the labor. Plus, I like the idea of bringing an original shell back to life...not to mention I'm a glutton for punishment!:slap:

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,973 Posts
I'm along for the ride. Can't wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

Yeah, that'd be great for sure but I can rehab this one and have less then half the cost of a new body invested since I'm doing the labor. Plus, I like the idea of bringing an original shell back to life...not to mention I'm a glutton for punishment!:slap:
:devil::horse: I mean you no disrespect but how much of the original shell will you be using.. The roof..?

A couple of years ago I promoted one of my donor car bodies to a build status but it is many times more solid and intact then where you’re starting from.. I kinda dig the patina and have no intention to make it a really aesthetically nice car.. It’s an FU car full of junkyard Dog attitude and that’s the way I want it to remain.. My current plan is to build an independent chassis and use 4th gen Camaro suspension.. I know the punishment of which you speak..:yes:

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:devil::horse: I mean you no disrespect but how much of the original shell will you be using.. The roof..?

A couple of years ago I promoted one of my donor car bodies to a build status but it is many times more solid and intact then where you’re starting from.. I kinda dig the patina and have no intention to make it a really aesthetically nice car.. It’s an FU car full of junkyard Dog attitude and that’s the way I want it to remain.. My current plan is to build an independent chassis and use 4th gen Camaro suspension.. I know the punishment of which you speak..:yes:
Well, like I said, I'm a glutton for punishment. Plus, there's a gratification to be found in bringing things back to life that were deemed to have no value by others. To answer your question, the roof, dash and maybe the package tray would be reused, everything else will not.

Here's what I do need if anyone has them...the rear seat support braces were torched off by the clown that decided he was gonna make it a race car and went crazy cutting everything out. I've not been able to find any available except when you buy the complete package tray assembly. If someone has a pair they'd be willing to sell, let me know, otherwise I'll be fabricating the bottom 3 inches of mine. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
You look like you have the vision and skill set. If it sets overwhelming just put it to the side awhile. I get burned out with four projects going but I stop and take breaks- it just takes up a lot of time and money. I will stay tuned too.
Looking forward to seeing what you can do.

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to SNOLAN, I scored some great doors this weekend. Worked out great logistically and always good to meet the people behind the messages on the forum, thanks Again Steve! These will be a huge check off the to-get list...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Glad to see that your going w a one piece floor. Eliminates a lot of headaches, imo. And good to see another saved. As in an original body n not a re pop. Its a toss up in the direction you can go with such a decision on your hands. But time will tell along what the pocket book allows. Be interesting to see the outcome. . .

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to see that your going w a one piece floor. Eliminates a lot of headaches, imo. And good to see another saved. As in an original body n not a re pop. Its a toss up in the direction you can go with such a decision on your hands. But time will tell along what the pocket book allows. Be interesting to see the outcome. . .
Thank you, some might disagree and to a point may be correct but with the availability of parts for these and other cars nowadays, it takes a fair amount of the work out of it. If I was having to pay a shop to do the work, no question that buying a new body would be cheaper. Stay tuned, we'll see if my opinion changes!

Cant wait to see this project completed ..

Love seeing my extra parts go to a good home.

Next time your in the area we can go out for a Nova Ride

Sounds good, I'll take you up on that! I can assure you the doors are in good hands. Thanks again for reaching out!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Sometimes it’s the journey and not the destination that’s important.. There have been some very long term projects going on here for years.. The final outcome will be determined in due time.. I’ll be watching..

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
rebuild

nice build going on. i'm right behind you so i will be interested in your build. Keep the posts coming!!!!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts