Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group, just bought a nice 67 Nova and am getting ready to make it into a cruiser. I am replacing front and rear suspension systems and plugging a 2007 4.8 vortex motor with a 4L60 transmission. Have a solid back ground in mechanics but am an old school guy. Looking for recommendations on front clip selection and rear 4 link kits. also insight to installing electrical issues with the change to computerized electronics. I'm not a racer and just want a new car ride and dependability with old school looks. Plan on long drives around the country to cruises and meet other car people.

·
6,463 Posts
You don't have to get a new clip to put a LS engine in the Nova. Church Boys Racing(CBR) makes headers to fit the stock clip. They come with engine mount adapters to place the engine relative to the fit of the headers. Suspension can be CBR(preferred) of CPP control arms to improve the ride and steering. You will need a late model GTO oil pan for a front sump system similar to a stock Nova. You can further up grade the front suspension with other components. Disc brakes make a very good improvement to the braking system. CBR has numerous other options for the Nova.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your input Shane. I have moved forward with a IFS from Scott's Hot Rod. Due around Christmas. Just looking at photos and some other comparisons theirs looked really beefy and nice and price was reasonable. I spoke with them and they were very knowledgeable. It is a complete system. coil over, disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering and powder coat blk. Time will tell. But I feel very good. I decided on the CBR rear triangular system with sub frame connectors. Had a little trouble getting feedback on their system but spoke with them also and feel comfortable. As I said about Scott's time will tell. There rear system is due in a week or so. It's looking like a very good Christmas. I am well into the Detroit mini tub install and its going very well should be complete in the next week. Im having so much fun. My main goal is to ride like a brand new car. As far as the LS install that is scheduled for Jan/Feb to see how it fits and connects. Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
223 Posts
One thing to watch out for is, the original engines were offset to the passengers side for steering box clearance. A lot of the aftermarket front clips center the engine since they eliminate the steering box with the rack & pinion. The problem is, the stock transmission crossmember is still offset so the engine will wind up crooked in the chassis. I would ask the front clip manufacturer if the engine is centered or offset like stock. If it's centered, you'll have to center the transmission mount also with a custom or modified crossmember. If you don't, you'll have a vibration in the driveline that you won't like.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,054 Posts
Sounds like you have the suspension worked out. Check the LSX forum in the drivetrain section, lots of good info on the drivetrain swap. I used Speartech for the motor wiring, I have a manual so a little simpler, but straight forward to install. Love my 6.0 !

PS: Welcome to the site a lot of very helpful people here :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Steve, thanks for the info, however its to late to change right now. Its being produced and is expected to be here soon. Do you know what the main issues are. I looked around prior and didn't find any negative feedback. Im sure it will work out but hopefully with out any major issues.

ps did find a few very old reviews 2004 - 2007 but nothing related to a 67 nova clip or nothing current

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Jim, That's great insight. Thanks. I will be more than likely installing a new cross member due to changing to a 4L60 transmission.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Rick, Thanks for the lead on the LSX forum. Another great source for info. I'm really digging this site with all you good people out there to help. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Scotts Hot Rod IFS is arriving tomorrow. Spoke with Justin when he called to give me shipping data and a thank you for the purchase. Cant wait to get it. Great Christmas present.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scotts Hot Rod IFS

Hi guys. I installed an IFS setup from Scott's hot rod. Very happy so far. Haven't got it on the road yet. But it's a very stout set up. Much like like Chris Alstons Chassis works but cost less. Justin has been a great help getting it set up. Hope to have on the road by fall. CBR 4 link with frame connectors also a great group. Will try and post some photos soon.
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scotts Hot Rod update.

Hate to say but the clip you bought SCOTS HOT ROD has not had very positive reviews do a search i would change your mind to one of the other options.

Why struggle use one of the proven solutions !!

My .02
Hi Steve, Wish I would have gotten your .02 worth earlier would have saved me a lot. I just pulled Scott's system off and ordered one from Chris Alstons Chassie Works. Nothing I can say good about the product or service. Many design issues. I had issues from day one and tried very hard to make it work. From mtr mounts to trans crossmember, steering column, Radiator fit. The final straw was when I was informed by a large supplier of headers that looking at the pics I sent with measurements I would have to trailer the car to a custom shop and would have to make a custom set to fit. the car was wired , plumbed and just needed headers to do final fitment. On to the next journey.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Scott CLIP

Please share all your problems so the next guy doesn't have to go thru the headaches.

Your not the first one that had issues sorry i warned you , Chris Alston is a good clip you will be happy ...i am a TCI customer and also happy.

Understand in my years of doing this i sometime have to relearn lesson i always just look forward its only MONEY $$$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts